Stretchy, cheesy, and melty Vegan Mozzarella Cheese! Made with 7 simple ingredients (+ sea salt) and only takes 15 minutes to make (plus chill time). Serve as an appetizer with fresh basil and sliced tomatoes or enjoy in a grilled cheese sandwich.
Last week, I went to Planta Burger in Toronto with colleagues at lunch – the chic-fancy-McDonald’s-eque-plant-based-restaurant was PACKED and the food was absolutely delicious. Planta makes not only the best burger I’ve ever eaten out but it also tops its burgers with an amazing dairy-free cheese. It was savoury, melty, and creamy without being greasy like a lot of vegan cheeses I’ve tried tend to be.
I know that cheese is often one of the hardest things to veganize but this plant-based cheese at Planta was just as good as the non-vegan stuff I remember.
And I’ve also been busy at home testing homemade Vegan Mozzarella Cheese for the past couple weeks until it was just perfect to share with you. And lemme-tell-you, this Vegan Mozzarella is not your typical cashew cheese recipe.
It’s melty, stretchy, and super cheesy and comes together in only 15 minutes (+ chill time) with 7 simple ingredients.
Blend all the ingredients together until creamy smooth. Warm over medium-low heat and mix until thick, stretchy, gooey, and super cheeeeesy. ⇩⇩⇩
You can eat this Vegan Mozzarella like this – warm, stretchy, and perfect straight from the pan. Or…
I like to pour the hot Vegan Mozzarella into a bowl and leave it to chill and harden slightly. The result is a soft, light, and creamy Mozzarella cheese that tastes good on pretty much everything!
- Soak the cashews overnight in the fridge in cold water or for 15 minutes in a pot of freshly boiled, hot water. Rinse the cashews and place in a high-speed blender.
- Add the aquafaba, apple cider vinegar, vegetable bouillon, garlic clove, tapioca starch, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, and sea salt to the blender. Blend for 2 to 3 minutes until creamy smooth. Taste test and add additional nutritional yeast or sea salt to taste.
- Warm a medium-sized pan over medium-low heat, pour the cheese sauce into the pan and stir until the cheese thickens to a thick and stretchy consistency (see photo and video). The cheese should not drip from the spatula when you lift the spatula up (see video). You can enjoy the cheese warm like this or leave it to chill by following the next steps.
- Add the cheese to a bowl and cover halfway with plastic wrap. Tap the bowl on the counter a couple times to get the air bubbles out. Leave to chill completely (about 25 minutes) and then fully cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to cool and harden (4 hours to overnight).
- If desired to serve as an appetizer, with a knife scrape around the sides of the cheese against the dish to loosen the cheese from the sides of the dish. Place a plate on top of the cheese and flip the cheese. Jiggle and tap the bottom of the bowl until the cheese comes loose. If necessary, smooth the top of the cheese with a spoon.
- Serve with sliced tomatoes and basil or enjoy in a grilled cheese sandwich. Enjoy!
Other Vegan Cheese Recipes