Rich, creamy, and cozy Roasted Butternut Squash Alfredo. The perfect meal for a cool, Fall evening and ready in one hour from start-to-finish.
How is your Fall going? I can’t believe it’s already mid-November. #ItsAlmostChristmas
It went from nice Summer weather to cold here overnight. We even had a little bit of snow last week. And it’s the perfect weather right now – you can sport cute Fall boots, oversized scarfs, long sweaters and still enjoy a stroll outside before the streets are covered in salt and snow.
Speaking of cold weather and cute outfits, next week J and I are getting our engagement photos done! Do you have any advice for an easy-going engagement shoot? We’d like to go to a couple of our regular spots for “candid-style” photos. I am super excited and also hoping to get a cute family photo with Henry for Christmas cards this year. #Cheesy
And I am also excited to share this week’s recipe with you because cool, Autumn temperatures call for vegan comfort food like this Roasted Butternut Squash Alfredo.
Pasta is the ultimate comfort-I-wanna-snuggle-up-with-netflix-and-my-puppy food. Pasta with caramelized, roasted veggies blended into a rich and creamy Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Alfredo takes comfort food to an entirely new level.
This Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Alfredo is also easy to make. Roast the veggies, blend with cashews, spices, and water. Stir into pasta with sautéed mushrooms.
Hint, I use frozen veggies to make this recipe even easier. You don’t have to worry about chopping up a butternut squash!
I add sauteed cremini mushrooms to this Roasted Butternut Squash Alfredo and they go perfectly with the deep and rich flavors in the sauce. The mushrooms are completely optional if you’re not a mushroom fan. I have a feeling fresh peas or sauteed leeks would go beautifully in this recipe as well.
Garnish with vegan parm and dig in. Enjoy, xo!
- 2 1/2 cup cauliflower*, chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash*, chopped
- 6 - 9 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 6 sprigs thyme (just the leaves)
- 8 sage leaves
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cups pasta waster
- sea salt and pepper
- 500 grams pasta (1 box)
- Sauteed cremini mushrooms, leeks, or peas
- Vegan parmesan
- Preheat oven to 475F. Soak cashews in a large bowl in hot water.
- Roast the vegetables: Line a casserole dish with parchment paper. Add the chopped cauliflower, butternut squash, garlic, and onion to the casserole dish. Add the thyme and sage leaves on top of the vegetables with a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables for 35 – 45 minutes until roasted and caramelized.
- Cook the pasta: Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the Alfredo: Drain and rinse the cashews. Add the roasted vegetable, cashews, bouillon, apple cider vinegar, nutmeg, nutritional yeast, pasta water, sea salt, and pepper to the blender. Blend until creamy smooth. Taste test and add extra salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the Alfredo to the pasta. Stir. Add optional sauteed cremini mushrooms, leeks, or peas. Garnish with Vegan parmesan. Enjoy!
You can use frozen or fresh cauliflower and butternut squash in this recipe.
Use gluten-free pasta for this recipe to be gluten-free.