Rich, creamy, warm and cheeesssayy Vegan Spinach Dip! Is spinach dip a staple at family gatherings in your home? Somebody is always bound to bring Baked Spinach Dip to a party and it’s always one of the first appetizers to go. Perfect with chips, chopped fresh veggies – this Creamy Spinach Dip is going to leave your guests coming back for more.
I have a giant, long list of recipes I’m meaning to veganize and it just keeps on growing. Can you relate? This Vegan Spinach Dip was finally at the top of my list this weekend. And my family was skeptical.
If you are not familiar with traditional Spinach Dip the main ingredients are mayonnaise, sour cream and then some spinach. Maybe you can understand my family’s skepticism, lol! The base of this Healthy Vegan Spinach Dip is chickpeas and cashews – and I have a hunch that sunflower seeds would also work for a nut free option as well (like they did in my Vegan Cheese Sauce). And the results are even better than the traditional stuff guys.
After photographing this recipe, practically the ENTIRE dip was completely gone in under ten minutes!! My Dad and younger brother could not get over how creamy, cheesy and flavorful this Creamy Vegan Spinach Dip was. My younger brother even asked for seconds – what a fun way to get kids to eat their veggies.
If you need a dip (that’s not hummus, lol) to bring to a party or impress you non-vegan guests – this is it! And if you do make this Vegan Spinach Dip at home – leave your feedback below or snap a photo to share on Instagram and tag #CearasKitchen!
- ½ cup cashews, soaked
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- ½ cup frozen spinach (measured after defrosting)
- ¼ cup aquafaba (liquid from the chickpea can)
- 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
- 2 - 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 splashes hot sauce
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- pinch black pepper
- Chili powder (for garnish, optional)
- Soak ½ cup cashews overnight or in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Over medium-high heat, saute diced onion in a splash of water (or dollop of oil) for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Allow frozen spinach to defrost (or microwave on low for 30 second increments) and measure out ½ lightly packed cup of defrosted spinach, pressing out some of the water in the measuring cup.
- Add soaked cashews, sauteed onion and aquafaba to a high speed blender (like a vitamix) and blend until creamy smooth.
- Add chickpeas, defrosted spinach, nutritional yeast, tahini, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce and spices (garlic and onion powder, paprika, sea salt and pepper) to the blender. Using the tamper, blend for several pulses until the chickpeas are just creamy and still a little bit chunky. If you do not have a high powered blender, pulse and scrape down the sides so your spices are evenly distributed when blending.
- Transfer to an oven safe dish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the tip of the dip is crispy. Sprinkle with a pinch of chili powder before serving.