Happy Mother’s Day! How are you celebrating today? Let’s celebrate the mom’s of the world today with some superr sweet and oat-packed Gluten Free Healthy Rhubarb Crisp.
But first, guys, how do the photos look!? I’m SO excited that J and I finally invested in a fancy SLR camera for the blog. It’s something we’ve been saving up for, well for months and it arrived in the mail a couple days ago. It’s been so much fun experimenting with the different bells and whistles of the camera. To be honest, I don’t know how half of the settings work just yet but it’s great learning more about food photography. We really can’t get over the difference of quality between the photos. We still have so much to learn but we’ve come along way since my very first recipe on the blog taken under overhead lighting at our dinner table right before we gobbled it up!
I am SO excited to share a ton of new recipes with you this Spring with some gorgeous photos and redo some of my old recipes as well so they can be put in their proper light. 🙂
But back to this sexy vegan Rhubarb Crisp.
A sweet, soft and warm rhubarb layer topped of with a thick and crumbly oat-filled crisp. #YesPlease
My Stepdad’s rhubarb crisp is famous in our home each Summer. He makes it with freshly picked rhubarb from the garden and it’s downright delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. I’ve been promising him since last Summer that I would make a healthier and flour free version for the family and attempt to compete with his famous dessert. And this Healthy Rhubarb Crisp definitively does compete with the traditional rhubarb recipes.
This recipe uses oat flour (basically just ground up oats) in the rhubarb base and some more whole oats and oat flour in the crisp topping. I added fresh lemon juice and lemon zest to the rhubarb plus some cane sugar for good measure. I wouldn’t recommend dialing back on the sugar in this recipe because rhubarb by itself is pretty sour. The sugar and lemon flavors really balance the rhubarb out perfectly.
This Healthy Rhubarb Crisp quickly disappeared after I whipped it up this morning. I wish I could send some of it across the ocean back home to share with my amazing mom today! 🙂 Happy Mother’s Day, Mama!Print
A sweet Gluten Free, Healthy Rhubarb Crisp made with absolutely zero refined flour! This Rhubarb Crisp makes the perfect Spring and Summer dessert, has a delicious thick crumble layer on top and tastes perfect with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F/175F. Grease a 2 quart/1 liter baking dish with coconut oil or coconut butter.
- Rhubarb layer: Place chopped rhubarb (see notes), cane sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and oat flour in the baking dish. Mix around, level it out in the dish and leave to sit for 10 -15 minutes while you prepare the crumble layer.
- Crisp topping: Add oat flour, oats, sea salt, cinnamon and brown sugar to a medium size mixing bowl. Mix together. Add 6 tbsp of coconut oil to the crisp mixture. Mash it in with a fork until a crumbly mixture forms. Add an extra tbsp of coconut oil if necessary. I like to do this part with clean hands, I find it gets the best “crumbly” texture.
- With clean hands, crumble the crisp topping evenly over the rhubarb. Bake for 35 – 45 minutes until the rhubarb bottom is very soft. Test this by poking the rhubarb with a fork to see if the rhubarb is soft. The amount of time you bake the rhubarb crisp will depend on your baking dish and oven. I baked mine for 43 minutes.
1) Cut rhubarb into roughly 1 cm pieces (1/3 inch).
2) Replace cane sugar with light brown sugar
3) Replace coconut oil with coconut butter for an oil-free version.
4) Make coconut oil is at room temperature before adding it to the crumble and not rock hard.
5) If you are more accustomed to very sweet rhubarb dishes, add an extra 1/4 cup of cane sugar to the rhubarb mixture.
6) Use dark brown sugar instead of dark brown cane sugar.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
If you try this Healthy Rhubarb Crisp, it makes my week seeing your amazing #CearasKitchen creations. Share your photos with me on Instagram @CearasKitchen (and remember to tag #CearasKitchen so I don’t miss it!) or share it on my Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page. Wishing you a wonderful Mother’s Day everyone!