Seriously CHEESY and CREAMY Dairy Free Queso made with roasted jalapenos and vegetables for a real K-I-C-K. The best Vegan Queso, perfect for tortilla chip and veggie dipping (and kind of perfect on Macaroni with a dash of parmesan for a spicy Mac and Cheese!).
How are you?! Can you believe it’s already Back to School? Let’s be honest, it doesn’t really affect me that much since it’s been awhile since I’ve been a student (ha!) but the backpacks and Fall fashion popping up in stores everywhere is a sure sign that Summer is beginning to come to an end and Fall is on its way. Has it rained all Summer where you live? Not to blab on about the weather but it’s been a particularly rainy summer here so Fall has felt like it’s been on its way for awhile now.
Even though I am not heading back to school, I started a new and exciting job this week. I have to say, treating myself to some new work clothes, getting my stuff ready on my first day, and meeting my new colleagues in some ways reminded me of getting ready for the first day at a new school. Some feelings in life never change. 🙂
But enough about work and school, let’s talk about this Dairy Free Queso, shall we? Not only is this Vegan Queso super cheesy and velvety, it’s also VERY tasty and flavourful.
The secret to a perfect and addicting Vegan Queso is in roasting the veggies to perfection.
[easy-tweet tweet=”Who doesn’t love colorful, beautiful, vibrant ROASTED veggies?! ” user=”cearaskitchen” hashtags=”vegan, dairyfree” url=”https://www.cearaskitchen.com/dairy-free-queso-vegan-queso/” template=”light”]
I use jalapenos, yellow zucchini, red onion, and a carrot as a base for my Vegan Queso. If you can’t find yellow zucchini in store, you can always just use peeled regular green zucchini. If you do use green zucchini, it is important to peel it or else you’ll end up with a green queso… and nobody wants that!
Along with the vegetables, I use a THREE nut and seed mixture in this Dairy Free Queso recipe. I could have just used cashews but using a blend of roasted pistachios, pumpkin seeds, and cashews makes for a VERY tasty and rich Vegan Queso.
Blend, blend, blend the roasted veggies with the nut-and-seed mixture plus a few different spices. ⇩⇩⇩
The roasted yellow zucchini really does create such a creamy and luscious Vegan Queso with the perfect yellow colour.
Bring this Dairy Free Queso to a party or serve it to your friends and family – they’ll be blown away when you tell them it’s made of roasted vegetables. Enjoy, xo!
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (roasted or raw, shelled, unsalted)
- ¼ cup cashews (raw, unsalted)
- ¼ cup pistachios (roasted, unsalted, shelled)
- ½ red onion, cut into chunks
- 3 jalapenos, cut in half
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 medium yellow zucchini, halved and quartered
- ½ tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or gluten free tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak pumpkin seeds, cashews, and pistachios in a medium size bowl overnight (covered in the fridge) or in hot water for 30 minutes. Rinse and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Place red onion, jalapenos, carrot, and zucchini on a lined baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes in the oven.
- Add pumpkin seeds, cashews, pistachios, red onion, half of one jalapeno, carrot, and zucchini to the blender with garlic, bouillon, soya sauce, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, (optional) liquid smoke), and water. Blend until super creamy and smooth. Add nutritional yeast. Blend.
- Taste test and add salt and pepper as well as extra jalapeno to taste (I added two whole jalapenos). This is a good way to control how spicy your queso is. Chop and use the rest of the jalapenos for garnish. Enjoy!
2) Use gluten free tamari sauce for this recipe to be gluten free.
More Vegan (aka Dairy Free) Cheese Recipes
If you are looking for a Nut Free Vegan Cheese Dip, try my Nut Free Vegan Cheese Sauce/Dip recipe.
And of course, Vegan Mac and Cheese!
Yay for delicious, Dairy-Free cheeses that are easy to make.