The real reason I need this in my life is because over these past couple weeks I’ve started and fully dove into my latest semester of 8 courses plus a thesis. So according to me, this is reason enough to indulge in some Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread [not that I really needed one anyways ;)]. Is there really any other better way to get the semester off to a great start than a slice of healthy chocolate bread? I’m positive chocolate might just solve all of life’s problems, so no, there is not.
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 large bananas)
- ¼ cup applesauce (unsweetened is preferable)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil (or other light tasting oil such as canola, peanut, vegetable oil)
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp milk of choice or hot coffee (see note)
- 2 tbsp maples syrup/ agave syrup/ honey
- ½ cup cane sugar or unpacked light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tbsp apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1½ cups flour
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips (optional - not used in pictured loaf)
- Pre-heat oven to 350f / 180c.
- Mash the bananas thoroughly in a large bowl. Add the following eleven ingredients [applesauce through to salt] to the mashed banana. Whisk together until everything is well combined. Then, add the flour and fold it into the "wet" ingredients until the resulting consistency is of a pour-able chocolate cake batter and the flour is fully mixed in [do not over mix to avoid over working the flour which will result in a denser cake]. If using, fold in chocolate chips.
- Grease a loaf pan with a non-sticking cooking spray or coconut oil. Pour chocolate batter into loaf pan. Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 38 - 42 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out almost perfectly clean.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool in pan slightly for about 10 minutes. Leave to cool fully on a plate or cooling rack.
Use dark coffee instead of milk for an enhanced chocolate flavour.
Honey is not for strict vegans
Quick Trick: Frozen bananas defrosted for one minute in the microwave work great in this and will save you the time of mashing the bananas!