The real reason I need this in my life is because over these past couple weeks I’ve started and fully dove into my latest semester of 8 courses plus a thesis. So according to me, this is reason enough to indulge in some Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread [not that I really needed one anyways ;)]. Is there really any other better way to get the semester off to a great start than a slice of healthy chocolate bread? I’m positive chocolate might just solve all of life’s problems, so no, there is not.
This is a super easy and delicious one bowl Chocolate Banana Bread! The results are decadent and delicious 🙂
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup applesauce (unsweetened is preferable)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil (or other light tasting oil such as canola, peanut, vegetable oil)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp milk of choice or hot coffee (see note)
- 2 tbsp maples syrup/ agave syrup/ honey
- 1/2 cup cane sugar or unpacked light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tbsp apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional – not used in pictured loaf)
- Pre-heat oven to 350f / 180c.
- Mash the bananas thoroughly in a large bowl. Add the following eleven ingredients [applesauce through to salt] to the mashed banana. Whisk together until everything is well combined. Then, add the flour and fold it into the “wet” ingredients until the resulting consistency is of a pour-able chocolate cake batter and the flour is fully mixed in [do not over mix to avoid over working the flour which will result in a denser cake]. If using, fold in chocolate chips.
- Grease a loaf pan with a non-sticking cooking spray or coconut oil. Pour chocolate batter into loaf pan. Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 38 – 42 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out almost perfectly clean.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool in pan slightly for about 10 minutes. Leave to cool fully on a plate or cooling rack.
Use very ripe bananas (with lots of brown spots) for maximum sweetness!
Use dark coffee instead of milk for an enhanced chocolate flavour.
Honey is not for strict vegans
Quick Trick: Frozen bananas defrosted for one minute in the microwave work great in this and will save you the time of mashing the bananas!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 2071
- Sugar: 198g
- Sodium: 2573mg
- Fat: 53g
- Saturated Fat: 38g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 383g
- Fiber: 21g
- Protein: 36g
- Cholesterol: 24mg