A simple and quick Tofu Chickpea Scramble packed full of protein and flavour! Serve alongside vegan bacon and homemade pancakes for a hearty, vegan brunch. I love making Tofu Scramble Sandwiches with the leftovers for an easy and delicious meal!
How are you? Can you believe… It’s December?! Jeroen and I leave to Belgium for the holidays in less than three weeks. And guess what? My Christmas shopping is DONE. I have never been completely done my Christmas shopping this early. My family and I started doing “secret santa” for the holidays and it’s amazing, especially sine I have 5 siblings! I have to say, even though I work directly beside a mall, I am SO thankful for online shopping. Fingers crossed everything arrives before we leave on our big trip.
Just over one year ago, Jeroen and I adopted our little doggo, Henry, as well as got engaged. We are well into planning our *vegan* weddings (yes, weddingS – we are doing one in Belgium and one in Canada) and finally decided to get our engagement photos done. See a sneak peak of our first two photos below. My friend Anna took the photos and we are so happy with them! More details on our vegan weddings to come, including the crazy-delicious menu we’re planning.
But first, let’s discuss today’s recipe… Tofu Chickpea Scramble which I love to make into Tofu Scramble Sandwiches!
Tofu Chickpea Scramble is a staple breakfast food in our home. So much so that I can’t believe I have not shared it with you yet. I make this Tofu Chickpea Scramble almost every weekend and the trick to the perfect Tofu Chickpea Scramble lies in THREE tips:
Tips for the Perfect Tofu Chickpea Scramble
- Get those spices just right. My preferred blend is garlic and onion powder, turmeric, paprika, and mustard powder.
- Use a potato masher with a splash of water to mash the tofu and chickpeas into the perfect “scrambled eggs” consistency. It works every time!
- Don’t forget the nutritional yeast. It adds such flavour and savouriness to the scramble and makes all the difference.
But why add chickpeas?
I used to make tofu scramble without chickpeas but since I started adding them I just can’t go back. The chickpeas add so much substance and heartiness to this easy breakfast and help to achieve that perfect scrambled, texture.
This Tofu Chickpea Scramble also makes the best grilled Tofu Scramble Sandwich with a handful of spinach and a touch of mayonnaise. I even like to eat the sandwiches for lunch cold the next day – they are that good. Enjoy!
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1 can chickpeas (2 cups)
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp dehydrated onion or 1 tbsp onion powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp soya sauce or tamari
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup water
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach, lightly chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 baguette, halved down the middle and cut in thirds
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Handful of spinach
- Crumble tofu into a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chickpeas, garlic powder, dehydrated onion (or onion powder), turmeric, paprika, mustard powder, and soya sauce to the pan. Sautee for one minute.
- Add the nutritional yeast, water, and a pinch of salt and pepper to the pan. Saute for two to three minutes.
- With a potato masher, mash the tofu-chickpea mixture until you have a "scrambled eggs" consistency (see photos/video for reference).
- Add the spinach and cherry tomatoes to the pan. Sautee for two to three minutes. Taste test and add additional salt, pepper or herbs to taste. Serve with your favorite vegan breakfast sides like vegan bacon and homemade pancakes!
- Spread vegan mayonnaise on the baguette. Add the tofu-chickpea scramble on top with a handful of spinach.
- Press the baguette together and grill until crispy.
- To serve, cut in half. Enjoy warm or cold the next day!
2) Use gluten-free gluten-free tamari in the scramble and gluten-free bread for the sandwich to be gluten-free as well.