At first glance, without seeing the title of this awesome smokey Vegan Tempeh Bacon recipe, you might think – what is going on here over at Ceara’s Kitchen? Is that a plate full of meaaaat??! But I assure you friends, this Vegan Tempeh Bacon is 100% plant-based and soo dang good. No pigs were hurt in the making of this Tempeh bacon, promise!
I started making this Vegan Tempeh Bacon a couple months ago to pack for J’s lunches. Guys, this Vegan Tempeh Bacon honestly makes the best BLTs. The soft bread accompanied by the crispy lettuce, juicy tomatoes, creamy mayo and salty Vegan Tempeh Bacon is seriously the best lunch ever.
First off, if you are not acquainted with tempeh yet, it’s a natural soy-product (yes, like tofu!) made with fermented soy. It’s high in protein, fiber, cholesterol free (like all plant foods!) and is less processed than tofu. Tempeh has a firm, chewy and delicious nutty flavor, it’s amazing in stir fries, pasta sauces and makes AMAZING bacon. That’s right, bacon! 😉
This Vegan Tempeh Bacon is made by marinating lightly sautéed tempeh in a homemade sweet and smokey BBQ sauce overnight. Marinating the tempeh overnight allows all the juices from the BBQ sauce to soak into the tempeh strips, resulting in the perfect vegan bacon – yum! The next morning, take your marinated vegan tempeh bacon out of the fridge and leave it to bake and broil in the hot oven until perfectly crispy and chewy. Serve alongside tofu scramble, monkey bread and all your favorite brunch additions for a delicious and hearty meal!
- 200 grams/ 7 oz tempeh (10 thin slices)
- 1/4 [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014EUA1A/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0014EUA1A&linkCode=as2&tag=cearaskitchenstore-20&linkId=IIOGN5ZD7T7O6LFN” target=”_blank”]low sodium vegetable broth[/url]
- BBQ Sauce
- 2 1/2 tsp [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052OOUE6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0052OOUE6&linkCode=as2&tag=cearaskitchenstore-20&linkId=XJHFX3LAZ7MBDTU7″ target=”_blank”]tamari sauce[/url]/soy sauce
- 4 – 6 drops hot sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp applesauce
- 2 1/2 tsp [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I7MVG0/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001I7MVG0&linkCode=as2&tag=cearaskitchenstore-20&linkId=IUD57NH4XGGGJRF5″” target=”_blank”]apple cider[/url] or white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HQC31Y/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002HQC31Y&linkCode=as2&tag=cearaskitchenstore-20&linkId=UKK7TYD5P3D77KUW” target=”_blank”]unsulphured molasses[/url]
- 1/4 tsp [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NO943C/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000NO943C&linkCode=as2&tag=cearaskitchenstore-20&linkId=UU3VUE6MFYFNEODK” target=”_blank”]smoked paprika[/url]
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Cut the tempeh into thin and long strips (see photo). Make them thin enough so they are “bacon-like” but not so thin that they fall apart.
- Over medium-high heat, sautee the tempeh for 2 minutes on each side in the vegetable broth. This steps cuts some of the bitter flavor out of the tempeh.
- Prepare the BBQ sauce by throwing all the ingredients (tamari through to sea salt) into a bowl and whisking them together. Brush the BBQ sauce over the tempeh and leave it to marinate in the sauce (use all of the sauce) in a sealed container overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F/180C. Place the tempeh bacon on parchment paper or a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake for 7 minutes on each side (making sure not to burn the tempeh!). Broil the tempeh for an additional 2-4 minutes at the end to get the tempeh bacon nice and crispy!
- Serve the tempeh bacon with [url href=”https://www.cearaskitchen.com/easy-tofu-scramble/” target=”_blank”]tofu scramble[/url] and [url href=”https://www.cearaskitchen.com/easy-whole-wheat-artisan-bread-no-knead/” target=”_blank”]homemade bread[/url] for a real breakfast treat!
Guys, I LOVE hearing your feedback and seeing your delicious #CearasKitchen creations :D. If you make this Baked Vegan Tempeh Bacon, share your photos with me on Instagram @CearasKitchen (and remember to tag #CearasKitchen so I don’t miss it!) or share it on my Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page. Have a beautiful weekend everyone!