Who ever said veggies have to be booooooring?? This VEGAN Poutine proves all the vegetable critics wrong. Crispy baked fries are topped off with a creamy and tangy cheese sauce and rich mushroom gravy. Made with lots of greens for good measure!
[easy-tweet tweet=”How do you take your fries? ” user=”cearaskitchen” template=”light”]
When I was testing this Vegan Poutine recipe, I was wondering if Canada is the only country that eats fries with cheese and gravy!?
The first time Jeroen, my Belgian fiancé, had Poutine in Canada he thought I was crazy for even suggesting the idea of eating fries this way… until he had his first bite! Poutine is not something I ate often in my “pregan” days—usually after a night of dancing with friends at university—but anyone who’s tried Poutine knows it’s darn good! I remember that one local corner shop even sold Poutine Pizza . Guys if you ever see Poutine Pizza while you’re out, do not try it. Even if it is 3 am and you’ve danced all night and it seems like a good idea. Poutine is better by itself and not on a pizza crust! Ha! #OnlyInCanada
But Back to this GREEN Vegan Poutine.
I have to say this Green Vegan Poutine is pretty darn tasty. Like we’ve made this time and time again tastaayy. If you told me before I was vegan that you could make Poutine with dried mushrooms, cashews, and kale I might I have looked at you like you had a third eye (lol), but each ingredient in this Vegan Poutine is critical for its yumminess. And the best part about Vegan Poutine is that it’s made without ANY of the grease or heaviness that goes into traditional Poutine. So you won’t wake up feeling grosse the next day after eating it at 3 am!
Cashews are what make the vegan cheese sauce soooo incredibly creamy and rich. Soak your cashews overnight or in hot water for half an hour so they are silky smooth when blended.
Potatoes, particularly russet potatoes, are super starchy and perfect for making crispy, golden brown baked fries.
Kale…. it wouldn’t be a proper Vegan Poutine without sautéed greens. The cheese sauce + kale + gravy make for the perfect Vegan Poutine!
The best part about making this Vegan Poutine is loading the fries up with all the fixings… ↓↓↓Print
Crispy baked fries are topped off with a creamy and tangy cheese sauce and rich mushroom gravy. This Vegan poutine is made with lots of greens for good measure! Don’t let all the steps involved in making this Vegan Poutine scare you off. The cheese sauce, gravy and kale are made while the fries are baking in the oven.
- 8 russet potatoes
- sea salt
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 1 cup firm tofu with herbs (or 1 cup firm tofu plus 2 tsp herbes de provence)
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Pinch pepper
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
- ½ heaping cup dried mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cups hot water
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- ½ cup dry red wine or 2 tbsp balsamic reduction
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp garlic sea salt
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 white onion, diced
- Kale, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- Green onions, chopped
- Soak the cashews in a large bowl covered with hot water. Soak dried mushrooms in 3 cups of hot water. Leave to soak for thirty minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450F/230C.
- Wash and scrub potatoes. Remove any rough or hard bits from the potatoes.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Cut each potato half into four slices. Place the sliced potatoes in the water to keep them from browning.
- Using a clean dish towel or paper towels, dry the fries off fully before placing them on the baking sheet.
- Arrange the fries in a single layer on a pizza stone, stone baking sheet (the stone will make sure the potatoes get extra crispy), or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure the fries are about ¼ inch (1/2 cm) apart on the baking sheet. If the fries are too close, they will steam and not get as crispy.
- Sprinkle the fries with sea salt. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the fries are crispy and golden brown. Flip the fries halfway through to ensure even baking.
- Toss with additional sea salt when the fries are fresh out of the oven. Repeat in batches until all the fries are baked.
Vegan Cheese Curds
- Make the cheese sauce while the fries are baking.
- Rinse the cashews and add to a high speed blender with the rest of the cheese sauce ingredients (tofu through to nutritional yeast). Add ¼ cup water. Blend until silky smooth (you may have to stop the blender and scrape down the sides once or twice). Add extra water by the tablespoon, if necessary. Taste test and add additional herbs, salt, or pepper to taste.
- After preparing the cheese sauce, prepare the vegan gravy while the fries are baking. In a small pot, saute onion over medium high heat in a splash of water until translucent for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add red wine and and simmer until the wine has reduced to ⅓ of its original volume (if using balsamic reduction, just add to the pot). Add onion powder, thyme and garlic salt. Stir.
- Add mushrooms with the mushroom broth water to the pot. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- To thicken the gravy, in a small bowl mix corn starch with 4 tbsp of COLD water to create a thin paste. Rapidly whisking the gravy, add the cornstarch paste to the pot.
- Turn heat down to medium low and simmer gravy for another 10 minutes. The gravy will begin to thicken and will continue to thicken after you remove it from the heat. Taste and season with additional sea salt, pepper or garlic salt.
- Saute onion and garlic powder with a dash of water in a pan over medium-high heat. Add kale. Saute for 1 minute until the kale is lightly sauteed.
- Add a large handful of the fries to a plate. Top off with kale, a drizzle of the cheese sauce, and add a scoop of gravy. Garnish with green onions. Enjoy!
Nut Free Version: If you need this Vegan Poutine to be nut free, use my Nut Free Cheese Sauce in this recipe instead of the cheese sauce here.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Main