Breakfast is my most adored meal of the day. And I am always trying to find new ways to incorporate my two of my favorites – bananas and oats – into my breakfast routine. Make-ahead healthy breakfast cakes are the perfect breakfast option if you are like me and never seem to have enough time during those busy weekday mornings to get everything done. As in you are trying to squeeze in either a morning yoga sesh and/or a run before your day starts in the ‘real world’ and you certainly do not have time to squeeze a relaxing breakfast in as well.
Banana and oats are always a go for me – and even more a win if they are used together. Mashed up banana in my morning bowl of cozy oats? Yes. Banana and Oats in my smoothies? Yes. 5 whole Bananas and 1 and a half heaping cups of Oats in my morning Vegan Banana Oat Bread? Yes, please!! 🙂
This Vegan Banana Oat Bread is soft, springy, hearty and full of simple-good-for-you ingredients like banana and oats. I managed to mash up 5 super ripe and naturally sweet bananas into the healthy + Vegan Banana Oat Bread. It is topped off with hints of cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla, flax and coconut oil.
In a couple of weeks I will be back at school, beginning the last and final year of my Master’s while getting ready to write my thesis with a full line up of courses as well. In short, easy and healthy breakfasts like this Banana Oat Breakfast Cake are going to be a must in my breakfast repertoire – especially if I want to have some time for myself in the morning to work out before the day starts. Not that this cake should be limited to breakfast, it also makes a perfect mid-afternoon pick-me-up between classes, work and studying. Slather on some nut butter and I am in banana bread heaven. Morning and afternoon banana bread comfort food #forthewin.
Feel free to follow my newest board on Pinterest –> Banana Bread Haven! 🙂
- 1 tbsp flax seed, ground (+ 3 tbsp water)
- 5 medium sized bananas, mashed (1 3/4 cup mashed bananas)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Dry Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup quick cooking or small flakes oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup white whole wheat or spelt flour
- Preheat oven to 360F or 180C. Lightly oil a standard square baking or loaf pan with coconut oil or non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together flax seed and water. Set aside to thicken while mixing together other ingredients. This is your flax ‘egg’.
- In a large size bowl, mash bananas. Add the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, cane sugar, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, sea salt and baking powder to the banana mixture.
- Give the thickened flax egg an extra stir if it is not fully combined with water. Add to the wet ingredients. Whisk together with a hand or electric mixture until the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the quick cooking oats to the wet ingredients. Stir together. Add flour and baking soda to the banana bread batter. Combine the baking soda and flour together on top of the banana bread batter before folding it into the batter. With a spatula, fold the flour and baking soda into the banana bread batter until fully combined. Leave to thicken for a minute before adding it to the loaf pan.
- Add banana bread batter into the oiled loaf pan. Smooth out the top of the batter with the back of a cold spoon.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clear.
- Leave to cool down in pan & voila your Banana & Oat Breakfast cake is ready to be devoured and enjoyed!
If you do try this Healthy Vegan Banana Oat Breakfast Cake, I love hearing about it and seeing your awesome #CearasKitchen creations. Share your photos with me on Instagram @CearasKitchen (and remember to tag #CearasKitchen so I don’t miss it!) or share it on my Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page.