I love making this Vegan Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie for a real treat. Made in a cast iron skillet with only 9 simple ingredients – no bowls or fancy mixing required! Thick and gooey with a crispy outside.
What are your Christmas/holiday plans?!? J and I leave to Belgian in less than 48 hours to spend the holidays and New Year with J’s family. It will be so nice to be back in Belgium – relaxing with family and old friends as well as doing some travelling. We are also going to be getting a lot of wedding planning done. Less than 7 months to go now!
But let’s talk about this Vegan Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie. Yes, it is basically just one GIANT chocolate chip cookie.
Does it really get any better than that?
I love this recipe because it is honestly the easiest dessert to make…ever. Seriously.
Warm and brown the vegan butter until it smells nutty and perfect. Add all the ingredients – only nine in total – to the pan. Stir until combined. BAKE. ↡↡↡
That’s it. The results are a super thick, gooey, chewy yet soft and diviiiine Vegan Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie.
Baking really does not get any easier than this!
I cut these Vegan Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookies into bars and brought them into work the next day. They were completely gone within an hour of me putting them out.
Serve warm out of the oven with vanilla ice cream.
- 1 cup vegan butter (measured when melted - I use Earth Balance)
- ¾ cup brown cane sugar
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp aquafaba (liquid from the chickpea can)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 ½ cup all purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips/chunks + extra for sprinkling on top (I use a mix of both)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Over medium-high heat, warm the vegan butter in a cast iron skillet. Continuously stir. As the butter warms, it will begin to foam. Stir until the butter releases a nutty aroma after a couple of minutes. Be careful not to let the butter burn, if it does, remove the pan from the hot element.
- Stirring continuously, add the cane sugars and vanilla extract. Whisk for a couple of minutes until the sugar is melted and completely mixed in with the butter.
- Stirring continuously, add the aquafaba. Whisk for another couple minutes until the mixture looks like a caramel sauce. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the baking soda and sea salt. Gently stir in the flour until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and sprinkle a handful on top.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve with vegan vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!