A delicious, decadent, soft and moist Oil Free Chocolate Cake that is only 145 calories for one huge piece! Topped off with a naturally sweet Sugar Free Raspberry Glaze tastes perfect on any cake or ice cream!
- 1 1/4 cups flour (spelt, all-purpose, white-whole wheat…)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup mashed roasted sweet potato
- 3 heaping tablespoons unsweetened applesauce*
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup cane sugar*
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, agave or honey*
- 1 tbsp vinegar (apple cider or white)*
- 2 tsp vanilla (optional)
- 1/2 cup hot fresh strong coffee
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules (optional)
Sugar Free Raspberry Glaze
- 2 heaping cups raspberries (I used frozen, but fresh also would work well)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 3 apples chopped and cored (*with skins on – see directions step 3)
- 2 tbsp cocoa + 20 grams (2 squares) of dark chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to 375ºf or 190ºc. Roast Sweet Potato for 45 minutes until soft when poked with a fork. Once the sweet potato has cooled down (10 minutes), with a knife, cut a slit down the centre lengthwise of the sweet potato and scoop out the insides. Lightly mash with a fork. Measure out 3/4 cups sweet potato. For alternative microwave method see notes beneath recipe.
- Turn oven down to 350ºf or 180ºc. Mix dry ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Brew coffee. Add the “wet” ingredients, including coffee and sweet potato, to a large size bowl. Blend with a stick blender or whisk until very creamy. Using a blender will get the best result because it blends through all the bits of the sweet potato. This can also be achieved if you mashed it really well beforehand (if you don’t have a blender).
- Fold dry ingredients into the wet chocolate mixture until everything is mixed together and you cannot see any more flour (Make sure to not over mix – this will result in a very dense cake).
- Lightly grease a square cake pan (or round if you want a round cake!) with oil using a piece of paper towel. Make sure that the entire inside of the pan is well greased.
- Pour cake batter into greased pan. Smooth out batter with the back of a metal spoon.
- Bake for 22 – 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out almost clean. Leave to cool for at least 15 minutes in the pan.
Sugar Free Raspberry Glaze
- Toss raspberries in a medium size deep pot with water on medium high heat. Put lid on pot and wait until the raspberries heat up and the mixture starts to lightly boil. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add in chopped apples (keep the skins on because they contain a ton of fibre!). Maintain simmer over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until the apples are soft to touch. When stirring, mash apples into the raspberry mixture with the back of the wooden spoon. The apple pieces will eventually dissolve and become apart of the raspberry mixture.
- Take the pot off the heat and wait for it to cool down a bit. Using a stick blender, blend the raspberry mixture until all the apple skins are dissolved into the sauce (If you do not have a blender, simply core and peel the apples at the beginning to avoid having apple skin in your end result).
- Transfer back to the pot and put the Raspberry Mixture back on the stove-top over a medium-low heat and stir for another two minutes. Add the sea salt.
- If using, add the chocolate and dissolve the chocolate into the raspberry glaze over a medium low heat. I chose to divide my mixture in half at this point so I had half raspberry and half-raspberry chocolate glaze in the end. If doing this. only use half the chocolate (1 tbsp cocoa and 1 chocolate square).
- Store the Glaze for up to 5 days sealed in the fridge. Glaze will thicken when cooled down and is easily reheated in the microwave.
– If you do not have cane sugar on hand use white or a light brown sugar [will no longer be refined sugar free].
– If you are using microwaved sweet potato, this will result in your sweet potato not being as sweet – I would then recommend to add two more tablespoons of syrup. Microwave sweet potato by washing sweet potato poking holes all over it with a fork, and putting it in a large bowl with a bit of water. Microwave for five minutes until soft when poked with a fork.
– If you do not have vinegar on hand you can just leave it out – this will just result in a denser cake
– If you don’t want this cake to be “fat free” simply replace some of the applesauce with melted coconut oil … 😉
Nutritional Benefits: No cholesterol, high in Vitamin A, C, fiber, manganese, selenium and also provides you with a healthy dose of calcium and iron.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Calories: 436
- Sugar: 68g
- Sodium: 1192mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 111g
- Fiber: 33g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg