Welcome to Ceara’s Kitchen 2.0! I am super excited to launch the latest Ceara’s Kitchen today – the switch from Blogger to WordPress is one I have been meaning to do for awhile and is well worth it. I am a big fan of WordPress so far – it is faster than Blogger, easier to navigate and I do not have to edit any HTML (phew!). It makes me wonder why I have waited so long to go forth with the switch in the first place. There is a bit of a ‘learning curve’ in the beginning with WordPress but thankfully my brother was there to help me initially get things set up (or else I still might be sitting there trying to figure out the downloading process!). And here it is – the new and improved Ceara’s Kitchen 🙂
And in celebration of my new website, I present to you one of my favourite healthy granola recipes – my current go-to breakfast (along with my morning smoothie, of course). This healthy granola recipe is full of good-for-you ingredients that any health-nut probably has stashed away in the cupboard – chia & flax seeds, oats, shredded coconut, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. This Healthy Granola Recipe is infused with a bit of coconut oil, a splash of maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon for flavour and good measure. As you can probably guess, these ingredients make for one heck of an energizing and nutritious breakfast to start the day!
This healthy granola recipe is rustic, hearty and slightly sweet. I love it by the handful as a ‘trail mix’ (who doesn’t love cereal straight from the box!), as a cereal with some homemade nut milk or as a good ol’ granola topping with yogurt. This detox granola is so simple, easy to make and versatile it makes me wonder why I haven’t ventured into granola making before 😉
Wishing you a wonderful weekend, please let me know what you think of the new website (or this hearty granola) in the comments – I would love to hear your feedback. Lots of love from my Kitchen to yours!
- 2 cups large flake oats
- 1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- ⅓ cup walnuts, roughly chopped*
- ½ cup almonds, roughly chopped*
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup flax seed, ground
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp raisins
- ½ cup dates, pits removed & roughly chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 325°f or 160°c. Cover large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add dry ingredients (oats, coconut, nuts and seeds) to a large bowl.
- Add salt and cinnamon to dry ingredients, mix ingredients until the cinnamon and ingredients are evenly dispersed.
- Warm up coconut oil and maple syrup in the microwave in 15 second increments until the coconut oil is melted (making sure not to burn the maple syrup!).
- Add coconut oil and maple syrup to dry granola mixture. Stir until all the oats, coconut and seeds are evenly coated with wet mixture.
- Spread the granola mixture evenly on parchment covered baking sheet and cook for 15 - 20 minutes (until golden brown). Make sure to stir granola every 5 minutes and that it does not burn 🙂
- Once the granola is golden brown let it cool down for a couple of minutes. Being careful not to burn yourself transfer the granola the large bowl, add dried fruit and mix together until the dried fruit is evenly dispersed!
- Voila! Enjoy your hearty, homemade and naturally sweetened granola!