Healthy and hearty Kale and Sweet Potato Burritos make the perfect make-ahead, stick-to-your-bones kind of meal. I love making these burritos Sunday evening for dinner and freezing the leftovers for lunches all week.
How’s your week going guys? It’s sweltering HOT here and I’m kind of obsessed with this gorgeous weather. J’s family is coming to visit and we had a full blown weekend of Summer organization here. I learned this folding technique and I went on an organizing rampage. Have you heard of it before? I am always looking for ways to make more space in our tiny apartment and this tip saved tons of closet space! And, as a plus, my closets are immaculate!!
But let’s talk about these Kale and Sweet Potato Burritos guys! You can’t go wrong. Honestly, who doesn’t L O V E a good burrito.
Especially ones stuffed with sweet potatoes, beans and avocado and drizzled with my super versatile Nut-Free Vegan Cheese Sauce!! (We basically eat this cheese sauce with everything.) YUM. ↓
And these Kale and Sweet Potato Burritos make the ultimate lunches. You guys KNOW I am always looking for new easy lunch recipes that I can just grab and go in the morning before heading off to work. I love making a big batch of these Make-Ahead Kale and Sweet Potato Burritos on Sunday and freezing the rest for easy lunches all week long.
Grill these Sweet Potato Burritos up or pop them in the microwave when your hunger calls! Enjoy!
Healthy and hearty Kale and Sweet Potato Burritos make the perfect make-ahead meal. I love making these burritos Sunday evening for dinner and freezing the leftover for lunches all week!
- 12 tortilla shells (10 inch)
- 2 onions, diced
- 5 garlic cloves,
- 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 can fire roasted green chilis (4 oz. can, I use Trader Joe’s)
- 1 can pinto beans, black beans, and kidney beans (*drained and rinsed – about 4 1/2 cups beans, 14 oz. can each)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups vegetable broth or water (+ extra for sauteing)
- 4 1/2 cups mashed sweet potato
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 heaping cups kale, chopped
- 5–6 drops hot sauce
- 3 avocados, sliced
- 3 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 424 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a casserole dish with parchment paper or spray with oil.
- In a large deep pan, saute onions and garlic with a dash of oil or vegetable broth until soft. Stir in the spices (mustard powder, paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper), soy sauce, and fire roasted peppers.
- With the back of a wooden spoon (or a potato masher), mash beans into the onion mixture. Add 1 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and mashed sweet potato to the pan. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add Taste test and add salt, pepper, and additional spices to taste.Add additional water if the mixture becomes too thick.
- While the sweet potato mixture is cooking. in a medium pan, saute kale with the nutritional yeast and hot sauce until the kale is lightly cooked.
Assemble The Burritos
- Place a large tortilla on a plate. Add 1/2 cup of the sweet potato mixture, 1/4 cup of kale, a couple slices of avocado, cilantro and green onion into each burrito. Tightly roll the tortilla into a burrito. Place “seam-down” on the pan. Continue until you use all the tortillas and sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes until light golden brown on top. Drizzle with vegan cheese sauce, garnish with cilantro and green onion.
- Leave to cool, wrap and place in a freezer safe container to freeze.
1) Use gluten-free tortilla wraps for these burritos to be gluten-free.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Main