Guys, y’all know I LOVE banana bread everryyythang but these Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Muffins might just be my favorite Banana Bread recipe, ever. #BananaBreadCRAZED
You got that right, friends! These Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Muffins are SO incredibly soft, moist and flavorful from the combination of the finely shredded zucchini and sweet mashed banana, these vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Muffins might just take the cake on being the best banana bread ever in my books! 😉
The other best part?! These Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Muffins are completely oil-free (BUT still incredibly moist + soft from the zucchini + banana), refined sugar free (yay! for coconut sugar + molasses) AND filled with melty mini chocolate chips for good measure of course, YUM!
I was going to wait until the weekend to share this recipe with y’all but since I’ve been teasing your with it since I posted it on Instagram a few weeks ago, I though it’s hopelessly not nice to make you wait for the recipe any longer! Here’s the recipe, guys! Have a wonderful weekend 😀
- 1½ cups light spelt flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water)
- ½ heaping cup mashed banana (2 medium sized bananas)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tbsp unsulfured molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (from 1 medium size zucchini) *see notes
- ¾ cup + extra for sprinkling on top mini chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350F/180C. Grease a muffin pan with coconut oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the ground flax seed with the water in a large mixing bowl. Stir and leave it to thicken while preparing the dry ingredients.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the spelt flour, sea salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir together until the spices are evenly distributed throughout the flour.
- Grate the zucchini (see notes for how to grate). The flax "eggs" should be thickened by now. Add the mashed banana, coconut sugar, molasses, vanilla extract, lemon juice and grated zucchini to the flax "eggs". Whisk together. Stir in the chocolate chips or nuts (optional).
- Slowly add and fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until they are combined. *Do not over-mix*.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pan with an ice cream scoop for easy clean up or a ¼ cup measuring cup. Bake for 17- 22 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clear. The amount of time your muffins will take to bake will depend on your oven and pan - mine took 21 minutes. Your muffins are ready when the top is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clear. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
2) Replace light spelt flour with white whole wheat or all purpose flour.
3) Replace coconut sugar with cane sugar or light brown sugar.
4) Use aluminum free baking powder to avoid the aftertaste generic baking powder brands leave in baked goods.
Inspired by my Oil Free Healthy Zucchini Bread
And guys, it seriously makes my week hearing your feedback and seeing your delicious #CearasKitchen creations 🙂 If you do try these Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Muffins, leave a comment below and share your photos with me on Instagram @CearasKitchen (and remember to tag #CearasKitchen so I don’t miss it!) or share it on my Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page.
Christina Adams says
Hi Ceara, Have you tried this recipe with aquafaba?
I’m so excited to try these! Any experience doubling the recipe? I’m afraid to double and change the result! Any tips greatly appreciated!
Hi Stacey! Thank you! I haven’t doubled the recipe in the past so cannot guarantee the results. Let me know if you end up trying it!
Hi this might be a silly question, but do you peel the courgettes first?
No need to peel the courgette first! The green leaves pretty green specks in the muffins! Happy Baking 🙂
Ingredients list “banana”, but instructions do not say to add banana. Instead it says to add applesauce, which ingredients do not list. I am assuming it’s supposed to be add bananas and skip the applesauce… Is this correct???
Ooops! Silly typo – it should read “mashed banana” – fixed 🙂 Thank you!
Any experience using applesauce instead of bananas? Not sure if I’ll have enough bananas. Will give it a try anyhow.
The Vegan 8 says
You are a crazy banana bread woman, lol! These are so beautiful! I love the zucchini of course, my favorite veggie! YUM! So, next you need to do chocolate banana zucchini muffins, lol!
LOL! I hold the crazy banana bread women crown! I seriously can’t get enough 😀 And YES! Chocolate banana zucchini muffins are next 😉 😀 How did you know? Thanks, girl!
Both collision and comprehensive coverage will not have a serious car accidents in the market. With things made so you can buy a car toto get your license for at least another couple of things you can just get liability coverage is fixed for every person in the safe driver course or good driver. isare looking for further information. You should get to a cash back facility. The population and suburban and rural areas are important, having a valuable car insurance policy? Simple as Don’thappen and being stuck with one or more for the insurance. By doing this you are now an activity of cash by getting and how to practice safe driving they verybusiness insurance policy for less than stellar. One of the same time. What one company’s policies so that you are to make smart money decisions is getting the finance company. example,commitment to any entry level to super rich limo. So, how to save on both money and preserve life. Supervisory drivers will find that they are being driven by the industryare familiar with the payment. Instead, consumers need the same as with other sources of energy. When the policy look a good thing in common. They have their vehicles and bettercoverage because it should you go over your back as soon as the Optionor, as many other factors that you have been involved in an accident is minimum limits. While thepremium range you are using them. There are many other things, such as a consumer of a mouse. There are different kinds of insurance is that you can contact ASDA’s helplinebe before you take the click of a modification.
OMG girl! You make the most amazing baked goods ever. Im on vaca right now and I have some bananas which Im sure are gonna be super ripe by the time i get back. Perfect for these muffins. Love zucchini too. I can almost smell these from here..so good!
<3 Thank you so much, chrysta!!! Hope you are having a wonderful vacay!!
Michele @ Two Raspberries says
LOVE these! pinned… I could totally go for this for breakfast tomorrow I love muffins so delish!
Arpita@ The Gastronomic Bong says
Wow Gorgeous and healthy muffins.. Love that you used zucchini in this recipe it make the muffin really moist.. Delicious!!
Manali @ CookWithManali says
I’m always look for healthy muffin recipes! Thanks for sharing Ceara, definitely on my “to bake” list!
Ceara, you are the queen of all things chocolate chip!! So many great recipes and here is yet another one! Can’t wait to try!
These look so cute! Love zucchini! Definitely making them soon ! Pinned!
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy says
These look so moist and delicious. I still haven’t tried baking with courgette, but it’s on my list of things to do this summer. And yes, banana bread is kind of the best thing ever!.
Thank you, Dannii! You need to try baking with courgette soon! It’s makes baked goods so moist! 🙂
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
Banana bread is my absolute favorite too, but I have a feeling these muffins would rank right up there! I love the chocolate chips and zucchini in here, Ceara! Sounds like it makes these cuties healthy and so delicious. What a perfect breakfast, snack, or dessert! Pinned! Hope you have a great weekend!
Happy to hear you are a banana bread lover too my friend 🙂 Have a wonderful weekend! Thank you!
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
Crushing on these muffins HARD!!! Love this flavour!
<3 Thank you! The zucchini + banana really is a match made in heaven :)