Guys, y’all know I LOVE banana bread everryyythang but these Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Muffins might just be my favorite Banana Bread recipe, ever. #BananaBreadCRAZED
You got that right, friends! These Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Muffins are SO incredibly soft, moist and flavorful from the combination of the finely shredded zucchini and sweet mashed banana, these vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Muffins might just take the cake on being the best banana bread ever in my books! 😉
The other best part?! These Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Muffins are completely oil-free (BUT still incredibly moist + soft from the zucchini + banana), refined sugar free (yay! for coconut sugar + molasses) AND filled with melty mini chocolate chips for good measure of course, YUM!
I was going to wait until the weekend to share this recipe with y’all but since I’ve been teasing your with it since I posted it on Instagram a few weeks ago, I though it’s hopelessly not nice to make you wait for the recipe any longer! Here’s the recipe, guys! Have a wonderful weekend 😀Print
These Chocolate Chips Banana Zucchini Muffins are my favorite banana bread ever! They are SO incredibly moist from the combination of the shredded zucchini and sweet banana. They taste even better the next day!
- 1 1/2 cups light spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water)
- 1/2 heaping cup mashed banana (2 medium sized bananas)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tbsp unsulfured molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (from 1 medium size zucchini) *see notes
- 3/4 cup + extra for sprinkling on top mini chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350F/180C. Grease a muffin pan with coconut oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the ground flax seed with the water in a large mixing bowl. Stir and leave it to thicken while preparing the dry ingredients.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the spelt flour, sea salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir together until the spices are evenly distributed throughout the flour.
- Grate the zucchini (see notes for how to grate). The flax “eggs” should be thickened by now. Add the mashed banana, coconut sugar, molasses, vanilla extract, lemon juice and grated zucchini to the flax “eggs”. Whisk together. Stir in the chocolate chips or nuts (optional).
- Slowly add and fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until they are combined. *Do not over-mix*.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pan with an ice cream scoop for easy clean up or a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Bake for 17- 22 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clear. The amount of time your muffins will take to bake will depend on your oven and pan – mine took 21 minutes. Your muffins are ready when the top is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clear. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
1) An important step in making this bread is how you prepare the zucchini. Grate the zucchini on the small side of the grater (not the super tiny, just the small side). Pack 1 cup of the grated zucchini into the measuring cup and drain off the excess liquid. Do not drain off all the liquid just the excess that pours out of the cup as your pack it into the cup.
2) Replace light spelt flour with white whole wheat or all purpose flour.
3) Replace coconut sugar with cane sugar or light brown sugar.
4) Use aluminum free baking powder to avoid the aftertaste generic baking powder brands leave in baked goods.
Inspired by my Oil Free Healthy Zucchini Bread
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
And guys, it seriously makes my week hearing your feedback and seeing your delicious #CearasKitchen creations 🙂 If you do try these Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Muffins, leave a comment below and share your photos with me on Instagram @CearasKitchen (and remember to tag #CearasKitchen so I don’t miss it!) or share it on my Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page.