We all need that one meal, that meal we turn to on those busy weeknights and want dinner on the table in 20 minutes or less. That meal we turn to when we don’t want to spend the evening doing dishes. That meal we turn to because we always have everything on hand for it. That meal we turn to when we simply don’t feel like chopping a whole bunch of veggies but still desire a healthy dish. And that meal we turn to when we quite frankly have nooo idea what we want to cook for supper.
Introducing the One Pot Broccoli Pasta. Quick. Easy. Tasty. Healthy. On the table in 20 minutes or less. What more can you ask for out of a simple pasta dish? This One Pot Broccoli Pasta has always been a staple in my kitchen. I love it because it is soo incredibly simple – probably why I have hesitated sharing it until now.
Before I switched to a healthier lifestyle I used to feel that pasta had to be topped off with tons of creamy cheeses, Parm and doused in oil to taste the part. But was I ever wrong. This pasta could not be easier, healthier or tastier. If you seriously looove cheese on your pasta add a bit at the end as a finishing touch instead of drenching the entire dish in cheese at the beginning – this way you will truly taste the nutritious and tasty flavors incorporated into this One Pot Broccoli Pasta without the added unwanted calories contained in tons of fromage (but how ’bout some hot sauce instead?).
To save time in this recipe I used frozen broccoli. Frozen vegetables are a major staple in my freezer. Especially during the winter months when bright, fresh vegetables are not as readily available (to soon for a winter reference?). It is a myth that frozen vegetables are not as healthy as fresh – in fact, because frozen veggies are flash-frozen at their peak ripeness they often contain much more nutritional value than their ‘fresh’ counterparts that were picked wayy before they were ripened and traveled a great distance before coming to a table near you (ahem overpriced, dreary looking vegetables in Canada in the wintertime ahem). And plus, frozen veggies are just that much easier on a weeknight where no chopping is involved!
If you can boil water you can make this One Pot Broccoli Pasta! Start off by boiling a large pot of water with a pinch of sea salt. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and frozen broccoli to the pot. If using fresh onions & garlic (I often used dried on those really busy nights!) finely chop the fresh onion and garlic while the pasta and broccoli are cooking. Once the pasta is cooked al dente, drain the pasta and broccoli remembering to carefully reserve one cup of the pasta water before draining. Leave the pasta in the strainer and put the pot back on the hot element. Add the reserved pasta-water, onions, garlic, lemon juice and spices to the pot and cook for 2 minutes until the garlic, onions and spices become fragrant. Add the pasta back into the pot with a splash of olive oil and toss, toss, toss! Top off with pumpkin seeds, hot sauce, and cheese. Voila! Your One Pot Broccoli Pasta is ready to go 🙂
An easy, quick, tasty, healthy and vegan weeknight One Pot Broccoli Pasta that is whipped up in less than 20 minutes! Use gluten-free pasta for a gluten-free option.
- Pinch of sea salt (for pasta water)
- 500 grams/1 pound pasta, I used spelt pasta (choose brands that takes 8–10 minutes to cook)
- 7 cups frozen broccoli florets (usually amounts to one standard bag of frozen broccoli)
- 1 1/4 cup reserved pasta-water (see directions)
- 4–6 cloves garlic, finely choped OR 1-2 tsp garlic powder(to taste)
- 1 small yellow/red onion, finely chopped OR 1-2 tsp onion powder (to taste)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice OR 2 tbsp white/apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1–2 tsp cayenne (to taste)
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Parmesan (*vegan brand for vegans)
- Hot sauce (not really optional!)
- Boil a large pot of water with a pinch of sea salt on high heat.
- Once water comes to a boil, add the pasta and frozen broccoli to the boiling water. Turn down to a medium high heat making sure that water does not boil over.
- If using fresh onions & garlic (I often used dried on those really busy nights!) finely chop the fresh onion and garlic while the pasta and broccoli are cooking.
- Immediately before draining pasta (before it is almost cooked) carefully reserve 1 & 1/4 cups of the pasta-water.
- Once the pasta is cooked al dente, drain the pasta and broccoli.
- Leave the pasta in the strainer and put the pot back on the hot element. Add the reserved pasta-water, onions, garlic, optional nutritional yeast, lemon juice/vinegar and spices to the pot and cook for 2 minutes until the garlic, onions and spices become fragrant.
- Add the pasta back into the pot with a splash of olive oil and toss, toss, toss!
- Top off with pumpkin seeds, hot sauce, and cheese. Voila! Your One Pot Broccoli Pasta is ready to go 🙂
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 5
- Calories: 1029
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 861mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 159g
- Fiber: 17g
- Protein: 50g
- Cholesterol: 31mg