I was so happy when I saw fresh blueberries at the grocery store on sale this morning (fresh blueberries can run a hefty price tag around here). I know I had to make something special with them for you guys! And what’s more special than homemade Vegan Lemon Blueberry scones?
Are you a scone fan?
They are a super popular breakfast and tea-time snack in Canada, the US and the UK. I looove scones. If you are not familiar with what a scone is, it’s basically a sweet biscuit. A tender and soft sweet biscuit with a crunchy outside filled with your favorite fruit of choice. In this case, lots of delicious bright blueberries and fresh lemon! Yum…
When I studied in Ottawa, there was a popular cafe called The Scone Witch which specialized in every scone you can possibly ever imagine.
Chocolate scones, strawberry, rhubarb, cheese – you name it! Whenever my parents would come down to visit they would always stock up on scones to bring back with them to Toronto and freeze. Well.. at least they said they’d freeze them – desserts never truly seem to last that long around my house back home, ha!
These vegan lemon blueberry scones are very similar to the ones I remember from my undergrad days but a little bit healthier. I swapped out all the butter and cream for coconut milk, making these scones 100% oil free. The coconut milk is undetectable in the final result but makes these scones super tender and moist. I also subbed the regular all purpose flour for my favorite light spelt flour and regular white sugar for cane sugar.
The scones are topped off with more fresh blueberries, lemon zest and cane sugar on top. All these scones need is my favorite tea, a British drama streaming on Netflix and my ideal afternoon is born 😉Print
These Vegan Lemon Blueberry Scones make a delicious breakfast or snack alongside afternoon tea! These soft and sweet scones are filled with fresh blueberries and lemon.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/390F. Line a pan with parchment paper and flour it or spray it with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Place spelt flour, baking powder, sea salt, cane sugar (1/3 cup) and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Stir together. Add the blueberries (1 cup) and lemon zest and lightly toss together until the blueberries are coated with the flour mixture.
- With a spatula, make a well in the middle of the mixing bowl by moving the flour mixture to the edges. Add the lemon juice and 3/4 cup of the coconut milk into the middle of the bowl. With the spatula (or clean hands) combine the flour into the wet ingredients. If the dough is too dry add a bit of the coconut milk by the 1/2 a tbsp until it is fully combined. Do not add too much liquid or the scones will not hold together and will get more muffin-like (I added an extra 2 tbsps). I like to do this part with my hands to get the dough fully combined. Try your best not to overwork the dough or your scones will be too dense.
- With slightly damp hands (so the dough will not stick to your hands), place the dough onto the parchment paper. Shmoosh and shape the dough into a flat circle about 9.5 inches/24 centimeters wide. The dough will be a bit sticky, but that’s okay.
- Sprinkle the remaining blueberries (1 tbsp), cane sugar (1 tbsp) and lemon zest (1/2 tsp) onto the scones. With a share knife, cut down the middle of the scones on both sides of the circle, 4 times, until you have 8 equal slices (see photo).
- On the middle rack of the oven, bake the scones for 18 – 25 minutes. They are ready when they are fully cooked in the middle. Leave them to cool fully before removing them from the pan. Cut into the 4 slices you made before baking so the scones will separate easily Enjoy!
1) Make sure your baking powder is aluminum free, this ensures that you don’t have the baking powder after-taste.
2) Substitute Cane Sugar for Regular Sugar.
3) Make sure to only zest the yellow part of the lemon skin. The white part of the lemon leaves a bitter aftertaste.
4) Leave the scones to cool fully on the pan before removing them.
5) Substitute Light Spelt Flour for All Purpose Flour or White Whole Wheat Flour.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: British
If you try these Vegan Lemon Blueberry Scones, it makes my week seeing your amazing #CearasKitchen creations. Share your photos with me on Instagram @CearasKitchen (and remember to tag #CearasKitchen so I don’t miss it!) or share it on my Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page. Wishing you a wonderful weekend everyone!