Have you guys tried Red Lentil Kofta before?! They were one of my favorite foods I discovered on one of my first visits to Turkey a few years ago. I instantly fell in LOOOOOOOVE with the perfect texture as well as the tasty, savory and flavorful touch of these lovely Mediterranean patties! Filled with red lentil, bulgar, white onion, garlic, a pinch of cumin and fresh parsley, these simple Red Lentil Kofta soon became one of my favorite foods in Turkish cuisine.
You can imagine that after goning vegan, I was happy to discover that these delicious Red Lentil Kofta Patties, like so many foods of the Mediterranean, are 10o% naturally plant-based!
The cool thing about Red Lentil Kofta is that they don’t require ANY baking, pan frying or any of that stuff associated with traditional “burger” type recipes! You cook the red lentils, add in the bulgar before the red lentils are almost done cooking. Once the bulgar is softened, toss in the white onion, garlic and parsley, give everything a GOOD stir and all you have left to do is shape these Red Lentil Kofta into the perfect patty!
In Turkey, traditionally, you often see Red Lentil Kofta rolled into thick cylinder shapes. I like them in the patty shape I’ve done here but shape these Red Lentil Kofta however you like. 😀
My other favorite part about Red Lentil Kofta is that you can enjoy them straight away warm or leave them to cool and enjoy cold later. I like them both ways but have a soft spot for them cold, alongside my Mediterranean Cucumber Tomato Salad! These make a super fun and different (unless you are Turkish and cook these often, lol!) Summer appetizer or side to impress your friends and loved ones with. J and I can never get enough of these Red Lentil Kofta when I whip them up at home.
If you like falafel and the flavors found in Mediterranean cuisine you are going to LOVE these naturally vegan and sooo darn healthy Red Lentil Kofta guys. They are SO flavorful with the PERFECT patty texture. Seriously, make them ASAP! 😉 And let me know how you like ’em by leaving a comment below, sharing a photo on my Facebook page or tagging me in your Instagram shot (#CearasKitchen) so I don’t miss your beautiful creation! Have a wonderful day everyone 😀
- 2 cups [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8G5E9A/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00I8G5E9A&linkCode=as2&tag=ceaskit0b-20&linkId=5LQDAETRZ2BF5IQE” target=”_blank”]red lentils[/url]
- 1 tsp [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WS3AJS/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000WS3AJS&linkCode=as2&tag=ceaskit0b-20&linkId=4D6A2SZQ57HROFZXhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WS3AJS/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000WS3AJS&linkCode=as2&tag=ceaskit0b-20&linkId=4D6A2SZQ57HROFZX” target=”_blank”]ground cumin[/url]
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BKQ2F8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008BKQ2F8&linkCode=as2&tag=ceaskit0b-20&linkId=WFYZTBT7QNSNCOKX” target=”_blank”]fine bulgur[/url]
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- Prepare and dice the white onion, garlic and parsley.
- Rinse the red lentils. Cook the red lentils in a large pot with 4 cups of water, ground cumin, hot pepper flakes, paprika, and tomato paste over medium-high heat. Cover and leave to cook for 15-18 minutes until the water is almost all absorbed.
- Add the bulgar. Turn the stove off. Stir the bulgar and lentils together. Cover and leave to sit for 5 minutes until the rest of the water is absorbed and the bulgar is cooked.
- Stir the white onion, garlic and parsley into the red lentil mixture. Add sea salt to taste. Leave to cool in the fridge for 5 – 10 minutes before rolling into balls.
- Scoop and pack the red lentil mixture with an ice cream scoop or spoon onto a tray or large plate. Shape the red lentil patties into a patty shape with the palm of your hand. Enjoy straight away warm or later cold with salad. Enjoy!