Who else is ready for colorful spring and summer salads like this Colorful Chopped Rice Salad?! Me, me me!!
I’ve gotten into the groove of making a bright and colourful rice and veggie based salad at the beginning of the week and eating it with lettuce for a delicious and vibrant lunch every day. This Colorful Chopped Rice Salad has been my favorite lunch so far and I can only imagine how perfect it would be alongside a summer BBQ.
I’m ready for summer… like yesterday. Anyone else with me? We had a storm this week that made it feel like winter was coming back for another run.
And then there’s me, inside in my yoga shorts enjoying my bright Colorful Chopped Rice Salad for lunch.
I love salads like this Colorful Rice Salad because at the beginning of the week you do all your chopping at once which makes for very easy lunches. Making a nutritious salad in advance means that I’m guaranteed to have a nutritious and hearty lunch every day of the week! Am I the only one who doesn’t like cutting up a whole bunch of veggies for lunch midweek? #LazyGirlProblems
This is the kind of salad that tastes even better the next day after the flavors have had time to marinate. You can switch the vegetables up and use what you have on hand as well. I used lots and lots of cilantro in this salad but if you hate cilantro you can always substitute basil or your favorite fresh herbs of choice. You really can’t go wrong with this Colorful Rise Salad. A pre-made, customizable, easy meal that gets better over time I can enjoy all week?! Yes, please!
- 2 cups wild rice blend
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- ¾ large red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can kidney beans
- ¾ cup corn
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (loosely packed)
- ½ cup lime juice (juice from 3 limes)
- Sea Salt + Pepper to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Additional Avocado
- Cook and Prepare: Cook wild rice blend in 3 cups of vegetable broth or water in a large pot (or as per the direction on the package). While the rice is cooking, chop all the vegetables (tomatoes, red bell pepper cucumber, avocado and red onion) into small pieces. Minse the garlic or cut into very small pieces. Chop the fresh cilantro. Rinse and drain the beans.
- Assemble Salad: Once the rice is cooked leave it to cool for 20 minutes before transferring it to a large bowl and adding the vegetables. Add the chopped vegetables, kidney beans and corn to the large sized bowl with the rice. Add ¼ cup of fresh cilantro and lime juice to the bowl and combine all the ingredients together. Taste test and add the additional ¼ cup of cilantro if you are a cilantro fan. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: To serve for a party, garnish with fresh parsley, cilantro, and red pepper flakes. I enjoy this during the week for lunches in lettuce of burrito wraps for a quick lunch.
2) Salad tastes even better the next day.
3) Feel free to add in or substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand.
4) If you are not a cilantro fan add in fresh basil or chives instead.
5) I used a Wild Rice Blend in this recipe that is a mix of both brown and wild rice. Substitute with preferred rice of choice.
If you do try this Colorful Chopped Rice Salad Bread or any other recipes from my Kitchen it makes my week hearing about it! Insta it to me @CearasKitchen with hashtag #CearasKitchen (so I don’t miss it!), Tweet it to me @CearasKitchen or Facebook it to me via the Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook Page! <3