Healthy Whole Wheat Oatmeal Waffles with maple syrup are the perfect way to start your day. Made with simple, whole food ingredients, these vegan waffles are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
Do you own a waffle maker? I got one this year for Christmas and I have to say I L-O-V-E it. Waffles for breakfast are even easier than pancakes in my books. Whip up the batter and put a cup or so in the waffle maker and voila, homemade healthy waffles! I love that it even tells you when your waffles are ready.
I don’t own an electric grill (I literally cannot fit any more appliances in my small, 600 square foot, Toronto, apartment at this point – haha), so next to waffles, I’ve been experimenting with making waffle-maker-vegan-grilled-cheese-sandwiches and even potato latkes! Stay tuned for more fun waffle maker recipes to come.
My fiance is Belgian so waffles do hold a special place in my heart. Walking through the cobble stone streets of Bruges and Brussels, you simply cannot miss the sweet smell of fresh waffles being cooked and sold. These Healthy Whole Wheat Oatmeal Waffles are not a Belgian Waffle recipe per se (I’m working on that recipe!) but they are exactly like the hearty waffles I grew up on.
Note: I like my waffles crispy on the outside (why they are extra golden in the middle) but you can always adjust the heat of waffle maker until you get your ideal crispiness. ↓↓↓
My star ingredients in these Healthy Oatmeal Waffles are simple but really make the difference in the final result.
Vegan Buttermilk: Start your Healthy Whole Wheat Oatmeal Waffles with vegan buttermilk. Using vegan buttermilk (essentially non-dairy milk and vinegar) adds a delicious, slight tang to these waffles and helps them to fluff up.
Aquafaba: Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas. Its acts as a great binder in this waffle recipe.
Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and Oat Flour: The oats make these waffles so incredibly filling. Using whole wheat pastry flour ensures these waffles are healthy while still soft – just like you used all purpose!
Top off your Healthy Whole Wheat Oatmeal Waffles with fresh fruit, homemade jam, or chocolate chips. Enjoy! XO
- Heat oven to 200F (keeps the waffles warm while you make them). Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature.
- Mix soy milk and apple cider vinegar together in a medium bowl. Stir and set aside (this is your vegan buttermilk).
- In a large bowl, mix together whole wheat pastry flour, oat flour, tapioca starch, cane sugar, baking poweder, and salt. Stir and set aside.
- Add the aquafaba and vanilla extract to the vegan buttermilk. Whisk together. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Whisk until combined into a waflle batter.
- Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron (my waffle maker uses 1 heaping cut of batter, but every waffle maker is different). Cook the waffles until golden and crispy. Keep your waffles in the oven while your making the next waffle to keep them warm. Serve immediately with desired toppings (jam, maple syrup, berries, peanut butter, chocolate chips).
- Use soy milk or other non-dairy milk of choice
- Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas