Does anybody else remember the muffin top episode of Seinfeld? The one where Elaine tries to open her own Muffin Top Shop and somebody steals her idea?! Well these Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffin Tops are inspired by that episode. Ever since then, I’ve wanted to make a muffin with JUST the abundantly fluffy, perfectly crispy on the outside, soft on the inside AND filllllllled with melty chocolate chips TOP!
And guys, these Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffin Tops are just that, YUM!
And if you are like, “CEARA this is like the millionth banana bread recipe you’ve shared recently”. Well, I’ve got a good excuse. J and I are moving out of our student apartment and I have had the habit since we’ve moved in of freezing every single super ripe banana in the house. This has resulted in a freezer FULL of ripe bananas. More ripe bananas than I know what do to with. Enough ripe bananas that I should set up some sort of temporary banana bread, shop lol! I’m still baking through all of them before we move out. Yay for Banana Bread!
But seriously, guys these Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffin Tops are delish and make the perfect snack. I feel like they’d be aaamazzing as a dessert too, slightly warmed up and with a dollop of coconut milk ice cream as well! #EatHappyLiveHappy #PassTheBananaBreadPLEASE
These healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffin Tops are the best of the muffin – THE TOP! They are made in one bowl and with healthy baking ingredients. Crispy on the outside, fluffy and soft on the inside. The perfect snack or dessert.
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup soft coconut butter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 355F/180C. Line a baking sheet with a slipmat or parchment paper.
- In a large mix, whisk together mashed banana, softened coconut butter (warm it up in the microwave for 30 seconds if it is hard), coconut sugar, vanilla extract and unsulfured molasses. Whisk together until creamy. Stir in sea salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Fold half the light spelt flour into the wet ingredients. Fold the rest of the light spelt flour into the wet ingredients until fully combined. Fold in 1/3 cup of the mini chocolate chips and the slivered almonds into the banana bread batter.
- Scoop the banana bread batter with an ice cream scoop onto the baking sheet. Press the dough lightly down with the palm of your hand. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on each muffin top.
- Bake for 13 – 16 minutes until the center of each muffin top is almost fully cooked. Leave to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before devouring! Enjoy!
1) Leave out slivered almonds for a nut-free option.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
And y’all, it seriously makes my week hearing your feedback and seeing your delicious #CearasKitchen creations 🙂 If you do make these Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffin Tops at home, leave a comment below and share your photos with me on Instagram @CearasKitchen (and remember to tag #CearasKitchen so I don’t miss it!) or share it on my Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page. Wishing you a beautiful Sunday!