Creamy Garlic Yogurt Dip.
And vegan, at that.
No funny sugar-y flavored yogurts here. This recipe uses my super simple, traditional-style, homemade tangy Homemade Vegan Yogurt as its base and is topped off with a delicious salty-garlic mixture.
This Creamy Garlic Yogurt Dip is thick, tangy, savory and perfect for chip and veggie dipping.
So simple and SO good. YUM.
This Creamy Garlic Yogurt Dip (aka Labneh) is SO creamy and dreamy in fact it even fooled our cat, Mavi.
Guys, I wasn’t initially going to share this recipe with today but I know it would have been what Mavi wanted.
Our loving, cuddly, independent, curious and squirrel-seeking, 6-year old kitty Mavi was taken from us too soon this week.
Last Spring, after 5 years of being a happy indoor kitty, Mavi decided he wanted to explore, go on adventures and become an outdoor cat. We tried desperately to keep him inside because we were worried about him exploring the big city by himself – but Mavi wanted otherwise. After weeks of Mavi meow-ing, wreaking kitty havoc in the house and trying to go outside we opened the door for him to explore. It’s what he wanted.
He’d happily go in an out, marking his territory around the city, chasing squirrels and exploring the ravines around our house. Mavi was the happiest he’d ever been in these past few months of his short life.
Our hearts broke on Friday morning when he did not come home after his Thursday evening outing. We called for him, distributed flyers and started thinking the worst when he still did not jingle in through the backdoor like he always does. We received the heartbreaking news yesterday evening that a neighbour had found our beloved kitty at peace.
Mavi was the best cat ever. Everybody loved him – even the biggest cat haters could not resist Mavi’s sweet soul and handsome charm.
He loved to cuddle and give hugs with his two paws around your neck while he softly purred in delight from the affection and caresses.
Mavi was so so loved by our puppy Maggie as well. Mavi and Maggie broke every cat and dog rule in the book. Mavi would sit there in bliss while Maggie carefully cleaned Mavi’s ears until they were squeaky clean. We’d often catch them playing around the house with one another – barking and meowing back and forth as cats and dogs do. The two were a pair and loved each other deeply.
Mavi also loved to come sit on my lap while I was working away. Mavi was a social cat. If there was any ‘action’ going on in the house he’d be there.
This is one of the last photos J captured of Mavi when I was making this Creamy Garlic Vegan Yogurt Dip a couple weekends ago. Mavi loved the dip and was hopping on and off the table, over our camera equipment and food set up – trying to get in on the action like he always loved to.
The house feels so empty without our little angel Mavi, purring and jingling around the house with his little bell around his collar. We love you so much Mav Mav and will always be so grateful we were blessed enough to have you as part of our family. <3
Before you add your spices into this Creamy Garlic Yogurt Dip, maybe give one of your kitties a taste – no human… or kitty can resist.
- 2 1/2 cups [url href=”https://www.cearaskitchen.com/vegan-yogurt/” target=”_blank”]Vegan Yogurt[/url] – *unsweetened*
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- sprinkle of dried mint
- Place a colander in a large pot. Position the colander so the bottom is not touching the bottom of the pot (this is so the liquid of the yogurt can drain out). Place two layers of cheese cloth in the colander.
- Scoop yogurt in the cheese cloth. Tie the cheese cloth at the top to form a little yogurt “parcel”. Leave the yogurt to drain from 12 – 24 hours until a lot of the liquid from the yogurt has strained. The longer you leave the yogurt, the thicker the dip will be. After the yogurt has strained, give it a little squeeze to get the excess liquid out.
- Scoop the yogurt into a little bowl. Add sea salt, garlic salt and garlic powder (and optional lemon juice). Taste and adjust salt or garlic to taste. Garnish with dried mint