Tangy and flavorful Peanut Soba Noodles made with crunchy peanuts, thinly sliced colorful veggies and a light, spicy peanut sauce. How spicy you want your soba noodles is up to you…
Do you love Soba noodles?! Soba noodles are Japanese noodles made with buckwheat flour and have such a unique and earthy flavor – slightly nutty (from the buckwheat flour) and perfect in soups and light sauces. Like this light, tangy and oil-free Spicy Peanut Sauce.
Remember my (untraditional) Easter in Barbados a couple months back? One of the main dishes was a spicy and simple Soba Noodle dish my Stepmom made. Everybody devoured the Peanut Soba Noodles and we enjoyed the little leftovers cold for lunch the next day. Best post-beach holiday meal ever.
You can enjoy these Simple Peanut Soba Noodles warm when you first whip them up or cold if you happen to have any left for lunch the next day. This dish is one of those recipes that actually taste better after a couple hours after the flavors have had a chance to mingle and marinate.
Another thing about cooking with Soba Noodles is that they are much stickier than your average rice or wheat noodle. That’s where my Simple Spicy Peanut Sauce comes in. The sauce is made with vegetable broth, ginger, lime juice, soy sauce, and (of course) hot sauce. You KNOW how obsessed I am with hot sauce… I may-or-may-not have five different kinds in my cupboards at ALL times. It’s tempting to add oil to soba noodles due to their sticky nature but you truly don’t need any oil with the right kind of sauce.
Chop your veggies, cook your noodles, make your sauce and TOSS it all up! These Vegan Peanut Soba Noodles are tasty, tangy and make a lovely meal (or even holiday main dish if you feel like “spicing” things up). If you make these Peanut Soba Noodles at home, I love hearing from you! Share your feedback below, snap a photo and tag me #CearasKitchen on Instagram.Print
Tangy and flavorful Peanut Soba Noodles made with crunchy peanuts, thinly sliced veggies and a light, spicy peanut sauce. How spicy you want your noodles is up to you!
- 1 box soba noodles
- 6 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 red, yellow and orange pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, unsalted
- 1/2 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Tangy Peanut Sauce
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 3/4 tsp mustard powder
- 3 – 6 dashes hot sauce
- Pinch chili flakes (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook soba noodles according to the directions on the box until they are “al dente” (you do not want them too soft because they will soak up some of the sauce after cooking).
- In a large pan, over medium-high heat saute mushrooms with garlic, sea salt and pepper in a couple splashes of water or oil (if using) until the mushrooms are lightly cooked.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together all the Tangy Peanut Sauce ingredients (vegetable broth through to hot sauce). Set aside.
- When the noodles are cooked (and drained), add the noodles to a large bowl. Pour the sauce over the soba noodles. Add the vegetables (mushrooms, sliced vegetables, and optional corn), roasted peanuts, and cilantro to the bowl. Lightly toss until the noodles and vegetables are well coated with the sauce. Taste and add additional hot sauce to taste.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts, fresh cilantro and chili flakes. Enjoy warm right away or leave to cool and serve cold as a salad.
1) If you require this recipe to be gluten free, double check that your soba noodles are made with 100% buckwheat flour and certified gluten free.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main