I’ve been on the hunt for the the perfect Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies for awhile. And I have very high expectations with cookies. The perfect Chocolate Chunk Cookie for me is soft and thick in the middle and perfectly chewy around the edges. Not too greasy (can we all agree that greasy chocolate chunk cookies are the worst?) and not too soft either – we are eating a cookie here, not a mini cake!
You see, Chocolate Chunk Cookies and I have quite a long history together. My great-grandma (ma Mamère as we’d call her) taught me how to make her Chocolate Chunk Cookies in the kitchen, using a traditional French Canadian recipe. She taught me how to properly measure the ingredients, to separate the baking soda from the salt, and to always make sure to add in extra chocolate chunks than the recipe calls for. I love her recipe because, in my eyes, it’s the best! And for almost a year I’ve being trying to make a Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookie that tastes just as good as her recipe.
It was not an easy task to say the least – competing with great-grandma’s Chocolate Chunk Cookies is no joke!
And last week, 6 batches of cookies later – I finally perfected the perfect Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies! After one bite, I was sold, these cookies remind me exactly of the ones I used to make with my Mamère. No, but really, these can be dangerous to have around the house 😉 We shared our batches with loved ones, neighbours and friends and still managed to eat more Chocolate Chunk Cookies than we can count. But some weeks are like that, and that’s okay. Especially, during weeks when you are trying to write all your final papers before leaving home to Canada in just a few days! Sometimes a Perfect Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookie is just what you need to get through this time of year – if you know what I mean!
- 1½ flax eggs (1½ tbsp ground flax seed + 4½ tbsp water)
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ¼ cup dark brown cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks/chocolate chips
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Make the flax eggs by mixing ground flax with water in a large mixing bowl. Once the flax eggs have formed the perfect “eggy” consistency, add the vanilla extract, coconut oil, cane sugar and dark brown cane sugar. Mix the ingredients with an electric mixer for about 4 minutes until a super creamy and fluffy mixture is formed.
- Add in the cornstarch and mix until just combined. Add in the sea salt and baking soda and mix until just combined. Add half the flour and mix until it is just combined. Add in the rest of the flour and mix until it is just combined.
- The dough is very thick so I recommend getting in there with clean hands to make sure the dough is perfectly combined (you can also do this with a spatula). Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out the cookie dough and roll them into small cookie dough balls. Place them, an inch or so apart, on the lined cookie sheet, and press them down slightly with your palm. Bake the Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies for 9 minutes in the oven or until they just start to turn golden around the edges. Leave them to cool on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before leaving them to fully cool off on a plate.
And if you do try these Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies, I love hearing about it! Snap a photo of your delicious creation and tag me #cearaskitchen on instagram or share your feedback in the comments below!