I have a new favorite salad, guys. Oh my gosh, this Roasted Potato Pesto Salad is full of SO much flavor. The taste and textures in this salad are out of this world from the crunchy walnuts, soft roasted potatoes and creamy basil pesto!
What’s your favorite Summer BBQ side? I’ve always looooooooooved potato salad. I mean, it’s just so darn good and creamy!! I’ve been meaning for the longest time to make a healthy, vegan version of my favorite tater salad and this Roasted Potato Pesto Salad blew me away at first bite.
I can’t take complete credit for this Healthy Roasted Potato Pesto Salad, my stepmama made something similar last Summer for a family BBQ and I never forgot it. I’ve been meaning to recreate it ever since and am I ever glad I did! Who knew potatoes and pesto were meant to be together?
Let’s all agree that roasting makes everything just that much better. I will never make a potato salad again without roasting the potatoes first. 😉
I could go on and on about how much I L O V E this Roasted Potato Pesto Salad from the roasted taters to the creamy avocado pesto but this girl has got a huuuuge oral exam on Thursday (followed by 2 more, eeeeek!) so I really should get back to studying 😉 Two and a half more weeks and it’s Summer for me!! Have a beautiful week, everyone <3
- 500 gr/17.6 oz little potatoes
- Sea Salt + Black Pepepr
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (1/2 cup pesto, ½ cup chopped up)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- big handful fresh chives, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup fresh basil (packed)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (juice from half a lemon)
- 2 - 4 splashes hot sauce
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Preheat oven to 480F/250C. Cut the potatoes in half (see photo for guide). Boil the potatoes in a large pot for 5-8 minutes until they are semi-soft when poked with a fork (but not fully soft, they will continue cooking in the oven). Top with salt and pepper and roast for 8 - 12 minutes in the oven until the they begin to turn golden brown.
- Turn the oven down to 390F/200C. Place the walnuts on a large pan and roast for 5-8 minutes. *Check the walnuts about halfway through to give them a light toss and make sure they are not burning.
- Prepare the pesto. Once the walnuts are roasted blend 1/2 cup of the walnuts, garlic, avocado, basil, lemon juice, hot sauce, and nutritional yeast (optional, but recommended) in the blender until creamy (I use an immersion/"stick" blender).
- Toss the roasted potatoes in a large bowl with red onion, fresh chives and remaining ½ cup of walnuts. Add about ¾ of the creamy pesto to the roasted potato mixture. Note: I used about ¾ of the pesto mixture, you can use the rest of the pesto for pasta, sandwiches or whatever you please!).
- Garnish with chives and additional black pepper if desired!
2) Nut-free version: Substitute the walnuts for sunflower seeds.
If you do try this Roasted Potato Pesto Salad, I love hearing about it and seeing your awesome #CearasKitchen creations. Share your photos with me on Instagram @CearasKitchen (and remember to tag #CearasKitchen so I don’t miss it!) or share it on my Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page.