How about a chocolate spread that tastes so naughty and delicious it tastes like melted peanut butter cups, turned and turned into a delicious, rich and creamy spread?! That is exactly what this Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread tastes like. Rich, decadent and addictingl-y good, I’m convinced this Chocolate Peanut Butter tastes ah-mazing on just about anything. That’s right – anything 😉 #EatHappyLiveHappy
I’ve had homemade chocolate peanut butter on my mind for awhile now and my first thought was to just throw some dairy-free chocolate chips or dark chocolate into a batch of homemade peanut butter which seemed like a perfectly delicious idea but I wanted this Chocolate Peanut Butter to be as healthy as possible! Instead of adding oil (or unsustainable palm oil which is what is found in a lot store-bought chocolate spreads *cough* nutella *cough*), tons of refined sugar and preservatives, all that you need for this Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread is some Roasted Peanuts, Cocoa Powder, and Cane Sugar!
If you have never made nut butters at home before, peanut butter is a great nut butter to start off with. The peanuts almost melt in the food processor after a few minutes. Not only healthier, homemade nut butters are a lot cheaper than the ones often found in store. Peanuts are an especially inexpensive nut – I used 3 heaping cups of peanuts in this recipe which cost me under 3 dollars! A big difference from fancy store bought chocolate peanut butters which cost upwards of 8 – 16 dollars. 16 dollar nut butter is nowhere to be found on this student’s budget 😉
Wishing you a very Happy Valentine’s Day filled with lots of love… and, of course, chocolate! Maybe even this Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread too if you’re lucky 😀 <3 Lots of love from my kitchen to yours! XOXO, CearaPrint
- 3 cups roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cane sugar or coconut sugar
- pinch of salt (if the peanuts are not already salted)
- Using the S-Blade, place the roasted peanuts in the food processor. Process the roasted peanuts, turning off the food processor and scraping down the sides when necessary, until a creamy and smooth peanut butter is formed. I always process the peanuts for an extra couple minutes because I prefer a more runny consistency. First the peanuts will break down into a crumbly peanut mixture, then to a sand like texture, then they will form a sticky ball, and, after around 10 minutes, the roasted peanuts will form a smooth and creamy peanut butter. *Make sure to give your food processor breaks if it begins to heat up too much.
- Using an immersion or traditional blender, blend the cane sugar if it isn’t granulated and fine like normal sugar. Add the cocoa powder and cane sugar to the peanut butter in the food processor and process until the peanut butter becomes creamy and smooth again (you might have to blend for up to 4 minutes in order for the sugar to fully melt into the peanut butter).
- Eat by the spoonful, serve on toast or on top of banana bread! Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Category: Spreads
- Cuisine: American
If you do try this Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread, I love hearing about it! Insta or Tweet it to me (@cearaskitchen with hashtag #cearaskitchen) or Facebook it to me via the Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook Page!