Soft, fluffy and flavorful Healthy Pumpkin Waffles with a thick Pumpkin Caramel Sauce on top. The perfect Weekend Fall or Winter Breakfast!
I’ve waited wayyy too long to share a waffle post with you guys. Especially since J is Belgium and I lived there for the past two years. If there is one delicacy (among many!) Belgium is known for it’s their delicious healthy pumpkin waffles. The smell of waffles being cooked as you walk down the street is always soooooo tempting and droolworthy! Have you ever had a waffle in Belgium before?
These waffles, though not made in the traditional Belgian style, are my personal take on my favorite kind of waffle – Healthy Pumpkin Waffles…
That sauce on top isn’t just plain ol’ maple syrup. It’s homemade, simple Pumpkin Spice Caramel you can whip up while your Healthy Pumpkin Waffles are cooking in the waffle maker. Yum!
These Healthy Pumpkin Waffles are soft and fluffy on the inside and super crispy on the outside – just like a waffle should be. I added a healthy dose of pumpkin spice (plus one whole cup of pumpkin puree) to make the pumpkin of these waffles really shine through!
Top everything off with homemade Pumpkin Spice Caramel and fresh pecans and you’ve got the perfect Fall or Winter breakfast. If you do whip these Vegan Healthy Pumpkin Waffles up – I LOVE hearing your feedback! Leave your feedback in the comments below or tag me #CearasKitchen in your gorgeous shots on Instagram!
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp unsulfured molasses
- 3 tbsp cane sugar or light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 1½ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cups light spelt flour or all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1½ cup packed cane sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp corn starch
- Warm up the waffle maker to medium high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or brush with coconut oil (this is an important step to ensure your waffles do not stick to the pan!).
- Mix ground flax with water in a medium size bowl. Set aside and leave to thicken while preparing your dry ingredients.
- Add all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, pumpkin spice), to a large size bowl. Mix together until the ingredients are evenly dispersed.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients (apple cider vinegar, pumpkin puree, molasses, sugar, vanilla, applesauce, milk) to the large bowl with the now thickened flax egg. Whisk for a minute or until creamy and thick.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well mixed. Do not over-mix to ensure your waffles come out soft and fluffy.
- Add a large scoop of batter into each section of the waffle pan. The amount you need to add will depend on the size of your waffle maker. Cook until the waffles are ready (mine took 4 minutes for each waffle). Make sure your waffles are fully cooked before removing them from the waffle maker. Re-spray or oil the pan with each batch.
- While the waffles are cooking, over medium high heat, mix together sugar, water, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, vanilla extract and cornstarch. Bring to a simmer and stir for a couple minutes until a thick caramel sauce appears. If sauce become too thick add a bit more water, by the teaspoon. Make sure to continuing stirring the caramel so it doesn't burn! The sauce will get thicker once it cools down.
- Serve Pumpkin Caramel Sauce over the warm waffles fresh from the waffle maker. Enjoy!