almost that time of year again. Anndd who is in the mood for PUMPKIN?!?! It’s been almost a year since I shared my last Pumpkin Bread recipe so I thought it’s about time I start making #AllThePumpkinRecipes. And why not start with some Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Zucchini Bread?!
Words cannot describe how ooeey-gooey, soft and moist this Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Zucchini Bread is guys. Like all the bread recipes on Ceara’s Kitchen, I tested this Vegan Pumpkin Zucchini Bread until I got it just right. Here’s a breakdown of a few of the ingredients I used which makes this Pumpkin Zucchini Bread extra special!
Unsulured Molasses + Coconut Sugar: The unsulfured molasses makes this bread so darn soft and the coconut sugar brings an awesome toffee flavor to this bread. If you don’t have coconut sugar on hand, feel free to use cane sugar but the coconut sugar really adds such an extra element of caramel flavors to this bread not as prevalent in regular sugar.
All the Pumpkin Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to be exact. These spices not only make your home smell AMAZING but make your pumpkin bread taste all kinds of amazing too. I like to use a lot of spice but feel free to dial them back a bit if you are sensitive to spices.
Finely Shredded Zucchini + Pumpkin: Shredding your zucchini on the fine side of your grater and taking out a bit of the water PLUS the addition of pureed pumpkin is what this bread is all about. Plus these secret veggies make this Healthy Pumpkin Zucchini bread super moist and soft without any oil or butter. #YesPLEASE
Chocolate Chips: And lots of them. Does this really need an explanation? 😉
This Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Zucchini Bread recipe is based on my Oil Free Zucchini Bread recipe guys. I’ve made it a gazillion times (and also into a Banana Zucchini Bread in the past) so why not a PUMPKIN Zucchini bread?! I baked this Pumpkin Zucchini Bread for my family this past weekend and it was polished off with the appetizer. It’s always a good sign when people cannot wait until after dinner to eat your dessert, ha!
If you do whip this Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Zucchini Bread, I love seeing what your creations! Share your feedback with me by writing your thoughts in the comments below, tagging me (#cearaskitchen) in your beautiful shots on Instagram or sharing your photo on my Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page. #EatHappyLiveHappy
An ooey-gooey, soft and moist Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Zucchini Bread. This bread is one of my favorites to make at home because it contains two of my favorite vegetables and is filled with so much flavor from the pumpkin spices, coconut sugar and molasses.
- 1 1/2 cups light spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp ginger
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seed + 6 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or cane sugar
- 1/2 tbsp unsulfured molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (from 1 medium size zucchini) *see notes
- 1/2 + 3 tbsp on top cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350F/180C. Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the ground flax seed with the water in a large mixing bowl. Stir and leave it to thicken while preparing the dry ingredients.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the spelt flour, sea salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Stir together until the spices are evenly distributed throughout the flour.
- Grate the zucchini (see notes for how to grate, measure and drain the zucchini – very important!). The flax “eggs” should be thickened by now. Add the pumpkin puree, sugar, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and grated zucchini to the flax “eggs”. Whisk together. Stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Slowly add and fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until they are combined. *Do not over-mix*.
- Pour the pumpkin zucchini bread batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips. Bake for 40 – 49 minutes. The amount of time your zucchini bread takes to bake will depend on your oven and pan – mine took 46 minutes. Your bread is ready when the top is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clear. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Leave the bread to cool before slicing into it. Enjoy!
1) An important step in making this bread is how you prepare the zucchini. Grate the zucchini on the small side of the grater (not the super tiny, just the small side). Pack 1 cup of the grated zucchini into the measuring cup and drain off the excess liquid. Do not drain off all the liquid just the excess that pours out of the cup as your pack it into the cup.
2) Replace light spelt flour with white whole wheat or all purpose flour.
2) Replace dark brown cane sugar with regular dark brown sugar and cane sugar with regular sugar.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American