Peanut Butter was sacred when we were kids.
It was never allowed in the house. So the moment we would visit grandma’s we would politely ask for a warm, melty peanut butter sandwich for lunch – or quite frankly for any meal/snack of the day. It was only a plus if it was spread on a waffle straight from the toaster smothered in jiffy and maple syrup. #onlyatgrandmas
My mom developed a severe peanut allergy after having me (sorry Mom!) and ever since her peanut allergy has gotten progressively worse. If we are out and somebody near us is snacking on peanuts she can almost instantly feel her throat start to tingle. Naturally, due to the severity of her allergy, as kids we were not allowed to have anything peanut related in the house.
As we all know, peanut allergies are pretty serious.
Since growing up many peanut butter substitutes have come on the market. You can only imagine my mom’s excitement after trying “peanut butter” for the first time after over 20 years!
This Peanut Free Peanut Butter is very similar to the real thing. Decadent, slightly sweet, and reminiscent of the comforting flavors found in the spread that we all know and love. The taste of the sunflower seeds is toned down by using coconut sugar and a pinch of coconut oil. This Peanut Free Peanut Butter works well in dips, sauces, dressings, smothered on toast, waffles, pancakes and my preferred way of eating all Peanut Butters (Peanut free or otherwise) – straight from the jar.
This Peanut Free Peanut Butter is a bit of a penance for giving my mom a peanut allergy (though she said it was worth it!) and all the others with peanut allergies out there!
If you do try Peanut Free Peanut Butter or any other recipes of mine, I love to hear about it! Insta or Tweet it to me (@cearaskitchen) or Facebook it to me via the Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page! 🙂 In the meantime I’ll be out running in exchange for my dire love for all things peanut related. 😉
- 3 cups shelled roasted unsalted sunflower seeds (or unroasted see directions)
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅓ - ½ cup coconut sugar (to taste)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- If your sunflower seeds are not already roasted, pre-heat oven to 300F or 150F. Roast sunflower seeds until fragrant, beginning to brown and slightly crisp (around 30 minutes). Stir every ten minutes.
- Place roasted sunflower seeds in a food processor or high powered blender (like a vitamix - *regular blenders will not work*). Process seeds until a fine crumble forms, scraping down sides when necessary.
- Add coconut oil and continue processing until the seeds begin to release their natural oils, clump together and finally form a smooth seed butter. Add the coconut sugar (beginning with ⅓ of a cup) and sea salt. Continue processing (the coconut sugar melts with the heat formed through the processing of the sunflower seeds).
- Taste and add additional coconut sugar, by the tablespoon, if necessary.
- Continue processing until desired consistency is formed. Sunflower Seed Butter thickens when stored in the fridge. Like all nut/seed butters they taste even better the next day after the flavors have developed.
- Enjoy your homemade Peanut Free Peanut Butter spread on toast, waffles, pancakes and enjoy in dressings, dips or straight from the jar!