Everyday I’m more and more excited that I’m heading home SO soon (15 more sleeps but who’s counting lol!). I’m sure anybody who lives far away can relate. Are you travelling long distances over the holidays? I head home twice a year, once during the holidays and once during the summertime. And the couple of weeks before I head home it’s always soo hard to concentrate! I’ve been so giddy and excited lately it’s hard to keep it all in! I’ve been trying my best to harness all my excited energy towards getting every single one of my papers done before I head home. #gettingitdone
But enough about heading home. How about introducing a new appy to your Christmas round up? Christmas around our home there is just soo much food and my family takes appetizers very seriously. Not that I’m complaining, but sometimes there are so many appies being passed around that by the time dinner comes around I already feel completely stuffed. That’s why I’m seriously considering bringing in some ‘lighter’ appies this year that are fun to snack on but won’t leave you feeling so full it’s hard to enjoy the main course 😉
The Cheesy Oil Free Kale chips are getting made this Christmas and that’s final!
J was less than convinced when I told him I was making chips out of kale. And then he tried one. After one bite of these Cheesy Oil Free Kale Chips he was hooked and after a few minutes the entire bowl of kale chips was gone! Haha, his words not mind – “these are really addicting”. #boyfriendapproved 😉
These Cheesy Oil Free Kale Chips are:
With a slight kick.
Betcha can’t eat just one!
- 350 grams/ 12 ounces kale, hard stems removed and torn into fairly large pieces
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Juice from ½ lemon
- ½ - 1 tsp cayenne pepper*
- ½ tsp sea salt (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F/175C. Line a baking sheet with a slipmat or piece of parchment paper.
- Prep your kale. Wash it, remove the leaves from the hard stems and tear the kale leaves into fairly large bite size pieces. Dry the kale so it's no longer wet from washing it.
- Toss and massage the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and (optional) sea salt into the kale leaves. *do not over-massage the kale leaves - you don't want them becoming too soft. Just until the nutritional yeast is a bit "absorbed" into the leaves!
- Spread the kale leaves out on the baking sheet. Make sure the leaves are close together but not touching or overlapping in order to get a crunchy chip!
- Bake for 15 - 20 mins until the kale chips are perfectly crunchy and start to brown a bit around the edges! You may have to increase/decrease the time by a couple of minutes depending on how damp your oven is.
- Eat right away. Kale Chips are not as crunchy the next day.
If you do try these Oil Free Cheesy Kale Chips or any other recipes of mine, I love hearing about it! Insta or Tweet it to me (@cearaskitchen with hashtag #cearaskitchen) or Facebook it to me via the Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook Page!