Healthy Chocolate Chip Quick Bread – honestly, friends, I’m obsessed! This bread is so soft, ooey-goeey and full of lots of melty chocolate chips. It’s the kind of quick bread that is just ah-mazing, love at first sight, I need this every morning with my morning coffee/tea kind of bread. Yumm!
But let’s back up on this Healthy Chocolate Chip Quick Bread for one sec. It was an exciting week last week! If you follow Ceara’s Kitchen on instagram you’ve probably already heard – J and I are now an official couple in the eyes of the government. We went to the town hall and signed a common law agreement – or as they call it here “wettelijk samenwonen”. It doesn’t sound that romantic, it’s only really a government technicality, but it still feels kind of special!
We celebrated Friday night with vegan pizza and on Saturday J’s family surprised us with delicious vegetarian tapas. Can I be honest, I could eat tapas everyday of my life and be one VERY happy clam. They were soooo good! I love being able to taste test every dish on the table. And yes, I’m totally that person who you go out to eat with that loooves food sharing. I can never decide on just one entree! Tapas is the ultimate food sharing meal. So there you have it, J is now my official “partner” in crime and I’m a total food sharer! 😀
Back again to this Healthy Chocolate Chip Quick Bread. I’ve been experimenting more and more with oil-free baking lately and have been having a lot of fun (and a lot of recipe fails lol) – this Healthy Chocolate Chip Quick Bread is 100% oil free, refined sugar free (if you use cane sugar) and is made with white spelt flour instead of regular all purpose flour. I use spelt flour a lot in my baking because it’s a more ancient grain that is a lot less processed than the regular AP flour sold in stores today. You can often sub spelt 1 for 1 with AP flour in baking without too many problems. I buy it here at my local organic shop but you can also find it online here (or at Bulk Barn if you live in Canada). Spelt flour #FTW <3
My favorite way to eat this Healthy Chocolate Chip Quick Bread is warm slathered with a bit of coconut or almond butter. The mixture of the melty chocolate chips, coconut butter and soft bread is SO good. So much oeey-gooey goodness!! <3
If you do try try Healthy Chocolate Chip Quick Bread it honestly makes my week hearing about it! 🙂 Insta or Tweet it to me (@cearaskitchen with hashtag #cearaskitchen) or Facebook it to me via the Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook Page! Wishing you a wonderful week!
- 1 flax egg (1 tsbp of ground flax seed + 3 tbsp of water)
- ½ tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ½ cup cane sugar*
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C. Oil the loaf pan with coconut oil or cooking spray (so the bread won't stick!).
- Add flax and water to a large mixing bowl. Stir around and leave to sit for a couple minutes until it has thickened and formed an egg-like consistency. In a small bowl, while the flax egg is thickening, mix the almond milk and vinegar together and leave to sit for a couple minutes (this forms a vegan "buttermilk").
- Once the flax egg is thickened, add the remainder of the "wet" ingredients (milk mixture, vanilla extract, applesauce and cane sugar) to the large bowl and whisk until fully combined.
- In a medium size bowl, add the dry ingredients (spelt flour, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and chocolate chips) and mix together until the ingredients are evenly dispersed.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Make sure to not over-mix - it's okay if there is a couple lumps in the batter like pancake battter.
- Pour the batter into the oiled loaf pan and bake from 38 - 45 minutes. I baked mine for 40 minutes but the amount of time will depend on your oven. The bread is ready when an inserted toothpick comes out clear. Once baked, leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to cool on a cool rack or plate! Enjoy!
*Replace cane sugar with coconut sugar or with normal/light brown sugar - recipe will no longer be refined sugar free if replacing with normal/light brown sugar.
*After some feedback, feel free to use ½ - ¾ cup of chocolate chips instead of the entire 1 cup depending on how many chocolate chips you want in your bread!