I’m officially back in Belgium and my exams are done, done, done!! My blog posts have been prettyyy sporadic lately due to the holidays, being home and then trying to write my last couple papers which were all due on Monday. Let’s just say, my fingers needed a little break from typing after pulling an all-nighter after my overnight flight on Sunday. Ooops. I did most of my papers in advance and was planning to get my last couple done in Canada – but, let’s get real, in between all the catching up and the holiday bustle there was not much school work getting done 😉
Trips and visits home always pass by too quickly. It was amazing to be home – I visited with family, friends and managed to get my little taste of the Canadian winter. And now I’m happily back in my cozy apartment in Leuven. It’s funny how different the wintertime weather is in both places – Canada is bright, freezing and snowy and Belgium is dark, rainy and cool. One thing both climates have in common is they both call for soup – lots of warm, comforting and snuggle-up-by-the-fire soup, just like this Hearty Split Pea Soup.
But I can’t take total credit for this soup. I love how everybody makes homemade soup their own. My stepmom, mom and J’s mom all make such unique and delicious soups – but they’re all sooo different. My stepmom makes delicious, thick, stick-to-the-bone, hearty soups and when she made this Split Pea Soup for lunch I knew I had to share it with you 🙂
So even though I can’t take total credit for this Easy, Hearty and Healthy Split Pea Soup it sure is a delicious! This soup comes together in less than 25 minutes, is naturally vegan, gluten and oil free. I’m convinced it makes the perfect winter lunch or light dinner alongside a piece of fresh and crusty bread. Enjoy!
- 1 red onion, diced (medium)
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil or ¼ cup water (for sauteeing)
- 1 carrot, finely diced or grated (large)
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced (optional)
- 1 cup split peas (rinsed)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Lemon Juice
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Hot Sauce
- PIta Chips
- Sautee diced onion and garlic in oil or water (depending on preferred method) until golden brown in a large pot.
- Add diced carrots and optional celery to the pot and sautee for a couple minutes.
- Add rinsed split peas and sautee for a couple minutes.
- Add three cups of vegetable broth to the large pot. Add hot pepper flakes, sea salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until the split peas are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend half the soup until you have reached your desired consistency. You can choose to leave it smooth or textured (I did not blend mine that much and left it more textured).
- Serve with fresh lemon juice, red pepper flakes, hot sauce, croutons and/or pita chips.
If you do end up making this Hearty Split Pea Soup, I love hearing about it! Share it with me on the Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook Page, Tweet it to me @CearasKitchen or Instagram it to me @CearasKitchen with #CearasKitchen.