Who else is already beginning to crave fall soups, everything pumpkin and the cute Fall Fashion that comes along with the gorgeous month of Autumn? I swear I must not be the only one. I have a bunch of Fall dresses and cozy sweaters that are just itching to surface from the back of my closet just in time for the leaves to change. Too soon? 😉
And with Fall comes soup. And lot’s of it. I’m a soup person. I love rich, hearty, nutritious, comforting soups in particular and what better way to welcome Fall than with a giant bowl of Healthy Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup?
This soup means business. Not only are the tomatoes roasted to perfection but I also threw the garlic and onions in the oven to roast alongside the tomatoes for good measure. This equates to some serious soup flava and also less hands on time in the kitchen pre-sauteing the veggies before blending them into a delicious soup. Less work and more tastiness? Yes, please!
This soup even got the thumbs up from J – who is a serious soup critic. When gobbling this soup up with some tasty fresh-from-the-oven Easy Artisanal No-Knead Maple Oat & Seed Bread (recipe to come, I’m seriously obsessed), he said to me “Wow, you can really taste the difference of the roasted tomatoes”. He will never admit to me if he doesn’t like a recipe perse, but he’ll politely take a few bites and say that he’s ‘not that hungry’ and will ‘save the rest for later’. Let’s just say, there was not much of this soup left to munch on later and we were both sad when we managed to finish the pot off the next day.
This Healthy Roasted Tomato Soup is creamy, hearty, naturally vegan & gluten-free, boasting with nutritious flavor and is best served alongside a warm piece of homemade, perfect-for-dipping-crusty bread. Fall, ready or not, here I come.
- 16 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2½ medium yellow onions, cut in half lengthwise
- One garlic head (see directions - use 8 roasted peeled garlic cloves in soup)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil (for drizzling)
- Salt & Pepper (for drizzling)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2½ cups water
- 1 cup light coconut/almond milk
- Splash Hot Sauce
- Bay Leaf
- Preheat the oven to 400f or 200c.
- Cut tomatoes and onions in half lengthwise. To prepare the garlic for roasting, peel the outer skin from the entire head of garlic. Cut the top of the garlic head off in order to expose the top of the garlic (making sure that the majority of the garlic is still intact).
- Place the tomatoes (facing up), onions and garlic (exposed garlic side up) side-by-side on a parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 60 minutes. Check after thirty minutes to ensure that garlic and onions are not getting too dark. When perfectly roasted, the tomatoes, onions and garlic should begin to shrivel and begin to darken.
- Let the vegetables cool down for 5 minutes after taking them out of the oven.
- In a large pot using an immersion blender or large blender, blend the tomatoes (with the juices that accumulated in the pan while roasting), onions, 8 peeled garlic cloves, paprika, basil, oregano, water, coconut/almond milk and maple syrup until perfectly creamy smooth.
- Simmer in large pot for 5 minutes with bay leaf to allow the flavors to come together. Season with a couple splashes of hot sauce to taste (optional).
- Serve alongside a warm piece of crusty bread! Enjoy!