Thick, juicy and perfect Vegan Steaks made with a garlic-soy marinade and a hint of maple syrup. These steaks are perfect on the BBQ, with pasta, or as a side with just about everything!
Can you believe it’s already September?! What are you guys up to? Is it back to school in your home? It’s like I blinked and the Summer is already (almost) done. Now that the Summer is wrapping itself up, I knew I couldn’t wait until next Summer to share this recipe with you. Because come Summertime, there’s nothing like good Portobello Steaks on the BBQ.
Have you ever made Portobello Steaks?! Honestly guys, they are my go-to. Who knew Vegan steaks were soooo incredibly tasty and simple to make. We’re having a last kick-off pool party of the Summer tonight and these Vegan Steaks are sure to make an appearance. 😉
Marinate your Portobello Steaks in an easy-peasy SIX ingredient, homemade marinade. Using marinade from scratch makes ALL the difference in this recipe. And the best part? You can save the leftover marinade for later since you’re using it to marinate VEGAN steaks. Yup.
Grill the steaks on your at home grill or on the BBQ. Brush, brush, brush the Portobello Steaks with the marinade as you grill them.
Slice them up….
And serve with your favorite pasta, side, in a bun as a burger… however you like! Wishing you a wonderful long weekend!
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari sauce
- ¼ cup plain tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- pinch sea salt and pepper
- Remove the stems of the portobello mushrooms. Mix the remaining ingredients together (soy sauce through to salt and pepper in a large and deep bowl.
- Toss the mushrooms in the marinade. Cover and leave to marinate for 1 hour (up to overnight) in the fridge). Every so often, turn the mushrooms over in the marinade so they all get evenly coated in the marinade.
- Warm a large grill (or bbq) over high heat. Spray grill with a non-stick cooking spray. Grill the mushrooms on each side for about 3-4 minutes (7-8 minutes total). Brush the mushrooms with the marinade while grilling.
- When the mushrooms are nicely grilled and cooked through, remove from the grill and serve warm! I love these portobello burgers with mashed potatoes, pasta, and as burger in a bun.