I love when meals come out of nowhere. I made this quick, simple and healthy One Pot Cheesy Tomato Pasta a couple Sundays ago for dinner. J and I had just got back from a relaxing walk and the last thing I wanted to do was cook up something elaborate. I never feel like spending hours in the kitchen on Sunday evening. Are you with me on that one?
I threw some macaroni, canned tomatoes, broccoli, spices, a bit of garlic and onions (you can even use dried if you are really
lazy in a rush) in a pot… and this awesome One Pot Cheesy Tomato Pasta came to be!
I won’t bore you with my school stuff but I am going in to defend my thesis this afternoon! I didn’t want to make you guys wait any longer for this simple and quick One Pot Cheesy Tomato Macaroni. I teased you guys with this quick and easy dish on Instagram and Facebook and was planing on sharing it with you later that week but my exam schedule and thesis defense got the best of me! Forgive me? 😉
Guys, this One Pot Cheesy Tomato Macaroni literally takes less than 20 minutes to throw together. And that includes serving it in a bowl and topping it off with lots of hot sauce! Throw everything in a pot, stir, wait, serve, devour.
How is this Healthy One Pot Cheesy Tomato Pasta so darn creamy? The starch created from the pasta while cooking in the vegetable broth magically makes a super creamy pasta sauce. Throwing in a bit of nutritional yeast once the pasta is ready takes the cheesiness and creaminess of this One Pot Cheesy Tomato Pasta to the next level. This meal has become a staple around here for any night I just don’t feel like doin’ a whole lotta cookin! Dinner is served, Yum!
I’m off to defend my thesis now, send good thoughts my way and wish me luck!
*Note: The Nutritional Yeast is an essential ingredient in this Vegan Cheesy Tomato Mac and is what makes it taste so cheesy despite the fact there is no dairy cheese actually in it. 😉 I mentioned before with my Healthy Pasta Primavera that nutritional yeast should be a staple in every kitchen!! If you have not started cooking with it yet, I would highlyy recommend getting some. Even if your kitchen is not plant-based, nutritional yeast is a great way to bring that “cheesy” taste to your favorite dishes while keeping them low fat and cholesterol free! 🙂
- 2 full cups [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=elbow%20pasta%20organic&linkCode=ur2&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aelbow%20pasta%20organic&tag=ceaskit0b-20&url=search-alias%3Daps&linkId=XIJ7WSWT44T7XOYO” target=”_blank”]macaroni[/url] (250 grams/8.8 oz)
- 1 [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HDJXLW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000HDJXLW&linkCode=as2&tag=ceaskit0b-20&linkId=STE6YSQSKYMZYRJH” target=”_blank”]can chopped tomatoes[/url] (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 heaping cups broccoli florets (frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 tbsp vegan [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058NJA8C/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0058NJA8C&linkCode=as2&tag=ceaskit0b-20&linkId=BIALSR4XNQTW2HIS” target=”_blank”]Worcestershire sauce[/url]
- 3 – 5 splashes hot sauce
- 1/2 tbsp [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJRKITM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AJRKITM&linkCode=as2&tag=ceaskit0b-20&linkId=LMQSFRF44FLZZ7SU” target=”_blank”]herbes de provence[/url]*
- 2 cups [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014EUA1A/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0014EUA1A&linkCode=as2&tag=ceaskit0b-20&linkId=2KXAB3JUCQCHK6VQ” target=”_blank”]low sodium vegetable broth[/url]
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002863BIW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002863BIW&linkCode=as2&tag=ceaskit0b-20&linkId=SUF6VGY5ZNKVLJIY” target=”_blank”]nutritional yeast[/url]
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Dice the garlic, chop the onions and broccoli into bite size florets (see photo, or just use frozen). Add all of the ingredients [u]except the nutritional yeast [/u](macaroni through to vegetable broth) to a large pot (Use a pot larger than the one used in the photo so the pasta does no stick together!!).
- Bring the pot to boil over medium high heat. Stir every few minutes until the macaroni is cooked through. [u]Make sure not to overcook the macaroni[/u]. Once the macaroni is cooked to aldente add the nutritional yeast to the pasta and vegetables. Stir everything together. Season with addition herbs, salt and pepper to taste. [b][u]Note[/u][/b]: You should [i]not[/i] have a lot of liquid left over, the macaroni should have soaked it up up during the cooking process. A bit of liquid is fine and adds to the creaminess of the pasta. If there happens to be a lot of liquid, just drain a little bit of it out before adding the nutritional yeast.
- Serve warm, garnish with additional hot sauce, nutritional yeast and chives! Best served warm right away.
Giveaway: One last thing, make sure to come back Friday for a GIVEAWAY I’ll be hosting on the blog!! I’m giving away a few packs of my favorite granola to one very lucky reader. Stay Tuned!
If you do try this Vegan and Healthy One Pot Cheesy Tomato Pasta, I love hearing about it and seeing your awesome #CearasKitchen creations. Share your photos with me on Instagram @CearasKitchen (and remember to tag #CearasKitchen so I don’t miss it!) or share it on my Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page. Have a wonderful day everyone! <3