Easy Vegan Gravy. Rich, satisfying and so incredibly flavorful you are going to want to put this gravy on everything you make this Winter! Maybe a slight exaggeration (lol) but this Easy Vegan Gravy is dang good and so darn easy to make.
The base of this Simple and Easy Vegan Gravy?! Dried mushrooms. Have you ever cooked with dried mushrooms before? They are a staple in my kitchen. Soak them in hot water for thirty minutes and you have perfectly chopped mushrooms + a tasty mushroom broth base that flavors up any savory dish. YUM.
This Easy Vegan Gravy is always one of the highlights at our holiday meals. People are always so surprised at how incredibly tasty it is! We celebrated Christmas early in Canada this year before J and I leave to Belgium to celebrate with his folks in a couple days. Here’s what we served at our dinner table. Roasted potatoes with caramelized onions, balsamic brussels sprouts, rainbow root veggies, super moist stuffing, green beans, couscous salad, falafel with tahini dressing and…
This simple and delicious Easy Mushroom Gravy over everything. #PassTheGravyBaby
What are your favorite holiday staples to serve at your Christmas table?
One of things I love about this Easy Vegan Gravy is that you can decide how thick/thin you want it. For Christmas dinner we made it more like an “au jus” and for these photos we thickened it up to a thick and tasty Vegan Gravy. If you do whip this Easy Vegan Gravy up in your home for the holidays, share your feedback in the comments below or take a shot and share it on Instagram with the tag #CearasKitchen – I love hearing from you and seeeing your delicious creations!!
- 1/2 heaping cup dried mixed mushrooms
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine* or 3 tbsp balsamic reduction
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic sea salt
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Soak dried mushrooms in 3 cups of hot water. Leave to soak for thirty minutes.
- In a small pot, saute onion over medium high heat in a splash of water or avocado oil until translucent for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add red wine and and simmer until the wine has reduced to 1/3 of its original volume. Add onion powder, thyme and garlic salt. Stir.
- Add mushrooms with the mushroom broth water to the pot. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- To thicken the gravy, carefully remove 1/3 cup of hot broth from the stove and add to a bowl. Stir in 3 tbsp of cornstarch until the corn starch is completely dissolved and there are absolutely no clumps. This step ensures that you have a creamy gravy with no clumps whatsoever. Rapidly whisking the gravy, add the cornstarch broth back into the pot.
- Turn heat down to medium low and simmer gravy for another 10 minutes. The gravy will begin to thicken and will continue to thicken after you remove it from the heat. Taste and season with additional sea salt, pepper or garlic salt. Serve gravy with mashed potatoes and all your favorite holiday sides!