Soft, sweet and moist Buttermilk Vegan Cornbread Muffins. This tender Cornbread makes the perfect breakfast with maple syrup and berries or serve warm as an appetizer with dinner.
How is your week going?! Okay guys, SPRING is finally here in Canada – the weather here has become GORGEOUS over this past week. Like, I need to walk to work everyday gorgeous because it is so warm. You would absolutely never guess that just over a week ago there was SNOW here. On Sunday I took the day off to RELAX and set the recipe testing aside for the day. It felt amazing. J and I went on a gorgeous hike in the trails behind our apartment and spent the afternoon relaxing by my parent’s pool. I was definitively a lazy Sunday and soo needed and good.
Who agrees that simple recipes are the best? These Buttermilk Vegan Cornbread Muffins are made with only 8 ingredients (+ sea salt which doesn’t really count as an ingredient) and come together in only 30 minutes flat. These Cornbread Muffins are SO incredibly easy to whip up, if you’re anything like me, you might end up baking 3 batches in one week! #BakingAddict
I love using vegan buttermilk (aka almond milk + apple cider vinegar) in my recipes. It’s the not-so-secret-ingredient in this Vegan Cornbread that makes it soooo incredibly soft, moist and tender and help these muffins to get incredibly fluffy. Flat muffins are the worst.
If you do make these Buttermilk Vegan Cornbread Muffins at home, it makes my day hearing your feedback! Share your results in the comments below or snap a shot and tag me #CearasKitchen on instagram!Print
Soft, sweet and moist Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins. These muffins make the perfect breakfast with maple syrup and berries or appetizer with dinner.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup apple sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (175C). Lightly oil a muffin pan with coconut oil (or line with muffin liners).
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, corn meal, cane sugar, sea salt and baking powder) and whisk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (almond milk, apple sauce, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk together.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 20-22 mins until an inserted toothpick comes out clear. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve with maple syrup and berries for breakfast and warm with dinner for an appetizer.
1) Replace almond milk with your favorite non dairy milk for this recipe to be nut free
2) Make sure that you use corn meal and not corn starch. I use Bob’s Red Mill’s corn meal in this recipe.
3) Line with muffins liners to keep this recipe oil-free.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Appetizer