Spicy Bean Soup because this time of year CALLS for easy, simple and hearty comforting meals that come together in a PINCH. I mean homemade soup in only 20 minutes (you read that right) – count me in.
Do you own a pressure cooker?!? It is one of my favorite kitchen appliances. Meals that typically take hours to cook are ready in under 20 minutes. Like this Jerk Spicy Bean Soup. You really can’t go wrong during the holiday season with one more easy, healthy meal in your recipe repertoire, amiright?!
This Spicy Bean Soup uses dry beans, peas and lentils for a hearty, stick-to-your-bones, protein-packed meal and it could not be easier to make – dump all your ingredients in the pot, secure the lid and wait for the beans to cook. That’s it…really!
One extra step that truly makes a big flavor difference in this soup is using freshly ground spices. If you have an extra minute, throw your cardamom and cloves in the spice grinder to grind them up for a truly aromatic soup. Plus, nothing beats the smell of freshly ground spices simmering on the stove!
If you make this Jerk Spicy Bean Soup in your home, leave your feedback in the comments below or snap a shot and share it with me on Instagram by tagging #CearasKitchen to your gorgeous photos. #EatHappyLiveHappy
Hearty and comforting Spicy Bean Soup with a real kick! A simple and flavorful soup that comes together in under twenty minutes in a pressure cooker. The perfect soup to snuggle up with on a cold Winter day.
- 1/4 cup dry kidney beans
- 1 cup large bulgar or freekeh or barley
- 1/2 cup split green peas
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1–2 tbsp lemon juice
- 8–9 cups of low sodium vegetable broth (use 8 cups for a chunkier soup)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp jerk seasoning or cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom, 1/4 tsp ground cloves OR 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded vegetables (i.e. carrots, celery)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Hot sauce
- Fresh chives
- Soak the kidney beans overnight in cold water or microwave them in a large bowl filled with for 10 minutes. This allows the kidney beans to soften before using them in the soup since they take longer to cook than the lentils and peas.
- Add all the ingredients (kidney beans, bulgar, split green peas, lentils, lemon juice, veggie broth and spices) to the pressure cooker OR a large pot. In a pressure cooker, this soup takes 15 -18 minutes to make over medium high heat. Secure the lid of the pressure cooker and allow the soup to pressure cook until the beans are softened and thoroughly cooked. In a regular pot, bring to a boil for 15 minutes over medium high heat. Turn down to a low heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour until the beans and lentils are softened and cooked through.
- Season with a pinch of extra cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm and garnish with fresh chives.
1) Using freshly ground cardamon and cloves really adds to the flavor of this soup. Grind your spices in a spice grinder right before using them in this recipe.
2) The optional veggies are a great way to use up the extra vegetables in your fridge (carrots or celery work the best!).
3) Adjust cayenne or jerk seasoning to taste based on how spicy you’d like your soup.
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Category: Main