DO you LOVE one pot meals?! One pot meals have to be my favorite kind of meal, guys. First off, because we don’t own a dishwasher soo everything that is cooked up in our kitchen is washed the old-fashioned way by hand. AND secondly, the less dishes the better no matter what night of the week it is, amiright?!
One Pot Lasagna is a meal that we often make around here because it’s easy, seamless to throw together and darn tasty. This Easy One Pot Quinoa Lasagna came together by fluke because I ran out of lasagna noodles so decided to substitute quinoa for the rest of the lasagna noodles and friends, the addition of quinoa in this vegan pasta dish blew we right out of the water!
The quinoa makes this One Pot Quinoa Lasagna sooo darn meaty, hearty and a full-on stick-to-your-bones kind of meal. PLUS, you don’t have to turn your oven on, making this a perfect meal for just about ANY time of the year. Heck, you can even make this One Pot Quinoa Lasagna in the middle of the hot Summer like I did. We just had a full on heat wave in Belgium and there’s no way I’d be turning my stove on for anything. Even lasagna. Well maybe for some cookies 😉
The final step in this dish is mixing in a homemade simple, creamy, vegan cheesy sauce that is whipped up in the blender while the lasagna is cooking in the pan. Mixing the sauce in at the end make this dish sooooooo incredibly cheesaayyy and good!
I mean I seriously can’t handle all that vegan cheeeeeeeeeesy goodness in the last shot, yum! 😉
And I apologize in advance for the Italian-inspired recipes I’ll be sharing this month like this Healthy One Pot Quinoa Lasagna. We are leaving to Tuscany in just under a week and all I can think about is all the wonderful dishes I’ll be discovering and trying to recreate for you guys while away. If you have any favorite Italian dish in particular you’d like me to recreate, let me know in the comments below!
A meaty, comforting and stick-to-your-bones One Pot Quinoa Lasagna. The addition of quinoa make this dish so incredibly hearty and delicious! The cheese sauce at the end takes this meal to the next level. Enjoy with vegan parmesan and fresh basil on top!
- 2 small white onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp herbes de provence
- 1/2 – 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (for sauteing)
- 4 heaping cups chopped zucchini (2 small zucchini)
- 2 heaping chups chopped white mushrooms
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 6 lasagna sheets
- 2 cups plain tomato sauce
- 2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup cashews, soaked
- 1 – 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 small clove garlic
- 3 tbsp water
- Vegan Parmesan
- Fresh Basil
- Soak your cashews in hot water for the cheese sauce if you don’t have a high powered blender while preparing the lasagna.
- Over medium high-heat, in a large and deep pan, sautee the onions and garlic with the herbes de provence and red pepper flakes in a couple splashes of vegetable broth. Sautee until the broth has evaporated and the onions are lightly cooked.
- Add the chopped zucchini and mushrooms, sautee in a couple splashes of vegetable broth for 4 minutes until lightly cooked.
- Rinse the quinoa (this removes the bitter aftertaste). Add the quinoa to the pan and sautee it with the vegetable for 2 minutes.
- Break the lasagna sheets into thirds. Add the broken lasagna sheets to the pan. Cover with tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Stir lightly, cover and leave to sit for 15 minutes on medium-low heat.
- After about 15 minutes, the quinoa and lasagna noodles should have absorbed most of the water. Stir and additional additional water if necessary (I added an additional 1/3 cup of water). Cover and leave to cook until the quinoa is fully cooked.
- Prepare the cheese sauce while the lasagna is simmering. Rinse the soaked cashews. Add the soaked cashews, nutritional yeast (amount you add will depend on how much you like nutritional yeast – I added 3 tbsps), lemon juice, sea salt, garlic and water to a blender. Blend for a couple minutes until smooth and creamy. I used an immersion stick blender to blend the sauce but any blender should do.
- When the lasagna is ready (the quinoa fully cooked and water absorbed – see photo), add the cheese sauce, and cover for an addition minute. Stir in the sauce. Top with vegan parmesan and fresh basil. Enjoy!
1) Substitute the herbes de provence for equal parts basil and oregano.
2) Use the amount of red pepper flakes to taste. I used a heaping tsp because I like spicier food!
3) Use Gluten-Free noodles if you need this dish to be gluten-free.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian
And y’all, it seriously makes my week hearing your feedback and seeing your delicious #CearasKitchen creations 🙂 If you do whip up this One Pot Quinoa Lasagna, leave a comment below and share your photos with me on Instagram @CearasKitchen (and remember to tag #CearasKitchen so I don’t miss it!) or share it on my Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook page. Wishing you a wonderful Sunday!