Happy Monday everyone! Boy do I have a recipe to share with you today – I am in looooove with these bright Vegan Stuffed Peppers. Don’t they just exude summer and springtime? They are so comforting and healthy, these Vegan Stuffed Peppers have quickly become our new favorite meal around here. I love that they are stuffed full of so much goodness! I filled them with a creamy tomato wild rice, mushroom, bean and corn mixture! Yummayy!
Are you a fan of stuffed peppers? I feel like every country has a slightly different spin on them. The stuffed peppers in Turkey are to. die. for. ahmazing! If you are ever in Turkey eat all the stuffed vegetables – you won’t regret it 😉 Whenever my family goes back to Turkey (my lovely Stepmama is Turkish so we go back there as a family often in the summer!) I am all about the stuffed vegetables. And Turkish people KNOW how to stuff vegetables just right. I could live off the delicious stuffed veggies, fresh olives and fruit that you can only find in this area of the world all year long.
These stuffed peppers are not exactly like the ones we eat in Turkey – they are kind of a fusion between Turkish Stuffed Peppers and the ones I grew up eating in Canada that my mom loves to make. You know when you eat a particular food that just brings you back to a wonderful place in time? Well eating these Vegan Stuffed Peppers makes me feel like I’m back by the Aegean Sea and at home in my Mama’s kitchen eating the stuffed peppers she used to make for us as kids! It’s funny how food can must us so nostalgic. 😉
I feel like saying Vegan Stuffed Peppers is a bit of redundant because almost all of the stuffed peppers I’ve ever come across have been naturally vegan. You really cannot go wrong with bright, sweet peppers stuffed with wild rice, veggies and mushrooms. I think I’m going to have to make these again this week – it’s just what I need in between the thesis I’m trying to finish and my last semester of coursework 🙂 Wishing you a wonderful week friends!
AD: SEO Consultant
And if you do make these Vegan Stuffed Peppers or any other recipes from my kitchen, it makes my day hearing about it! Insta or Tweet it to me (@cearaskitchen with hashtag #cearaskitchen) or Facebook it to me via the Ceara’s Kitchen Facebook Page! <3
- 1½ cups wild rice
- 1½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1½ cups plain tomato sauce
- 1 heaping tsp herbes de provence
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika optional)
- ½ tsp cumin (optional)
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 chopped red onion
- 4 red bell peppers (or yellow or green)
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans
- ½ cup corn
- 1 cup plain tomato sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1½ heaping tsp herbes de provence
- Green onion
- Hot Sauce
- Hot Pepper Flakes
- Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Simmer wild rice on medium-low heat with vegetable broth, plain tomato sauce, herbs, mushrooms and red onion untill rice is fully cooked. When cooked, stir and mix in kidney beans and corn.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F/180C. When rice is cooking, prepare a casserole dish (see photo) by adding tomato sauce and spices to the bottom of the casserole dish. Prepare bell peppers by removing the seeds and white insides. Leave the tops of the pepper intact (see photo). Fill the peppers by adding the rice mixture to the peppers (you will have a bit of rice mixture left over). Arrange the stuffed peppers side by side in the pan. Cover and bake in the oven for 55 minutes. For the final 5 minutes remove the lid of the casserole dish and broil the stuffed peppers until the tops of the peppers just begins to blacken (being careful not to burn the peppers!).
- Smother the stuffed peppers in the thick tomato sauce from the bottom of the pan and top off with preferred garnish. Enjoy!